Though I don't have a portable DB meter available, I would venture a guess the volume level is at least 40 percent higher. The quality is at least 75 percent better than the 2200s. Part of this is due to the fact that when I'm performing using the PSR-3000 and Z-5500, sound is coming from 8 speakers, six of which are the 5500 system, plus the 2 onboard keyboard speakers. That's a whole lot of sound being transmitted into the room.

I've never been above boost #4 on the main volume during a performance, but it have taken the volume to max just once to see how much headroom was available and it was unreal.

However, I do not recommend running any sound system at maximum level. First and foremost, you're inviting blown speakers at the very least. Additionally, while this system has incredible clarity, distortion can be a problem with any sound system set to maximum volume. Kinda' like driving a car with the gas pelal mashed to the floor all the time--hell-of-a-ride, but something under the hood is gonna' fry in less time than you think.

As I said earlier, let your ears be the judge. If you decide to purchase the system, make sure the store has a good return policy and no restocking fees.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)