Hi Guys,
The fog in the Central Coast of California has let up, which has motivated me to start construction of a pagoda in my back yard, thus keeping me away from the computer. Sorry for the delay in responding. Mario, I’m pleased you found “Loss Of Love”. I should have explained that the opening for that SUNFLOWER theme was borrowed from another Mancini score called “Experiment In Terror”. The music was not a song as such - no lyrics - but just a theme used in the movie. I thought it was an interesting contrast to the beautiful SUNFLOWER melody.

My production method is very simple. I sequence almost everything in real time on the KN6000. Occasionally when there is too much going on or it is impossible to modify an existing pattern, I will build on Intro, ending or a pattern in the sequencer and then copy it into one of the pattern locations. Technics allows you to copy up to sixteen measures from the sequencer into any of what they call the Composer (backing) locations. There are a number of obvious advantages in this procedure, not the least of which is to introduce a piece of music in a different key and easily transpose it in the copying process.

Then I line up my changes in the presets. Many arrangements may have a dozen or more changes, so with my failing memory, it’s important to get them organized. Now it’s just a matter of sequencing the thing without any errors. When I feel I can’t do any better, I step away from the song for a day and then go back and listen with headphones. This is an important step for it allows fine tuning the balance of parts, the sound processing and the panning, which is a critical factor in producing an effective CD. I then burn the saved file directly to a stand alone CD recorder.

I’m clearly guilty of phrasing before and at times after the beat too much. Bob Hendershot, a very talented KN5000 player has mentioned this to me too. I think Scott’s advise to play a song straight the first time before making unusual chord changes could very well be applied to phrasing too. I’ll do my best to follow the composer’s intentions in the future.

My thanks to all who bring their interesting comments and inspiring music to this forum.

Frank