You have raised several good points with this post, some of which address the direction music is headed for musicians--not so much as entertainers.

Musicians, a group of which I'm not really included, for the most part will find it increasingly difficult to find work during the ensuing years. I'm referring to individuals that are extremely talented, can play circles around folks such as myself, never miss a beat, and every key-stroke is as precise as the tick of a clock. This is particularly true if that person does not sing. Granted, they will find jobs playing in upscale restaurants, but in this part of the world that would amount to a 5 night a week job that payed $100 to $125 for four to five hours of music.

On the other hand, a mediocre keyboard player, such as myself, that can sing, entertain, and hold the attention of an audience for the same period of time, will have all the work they can handle. And, they will be paid a better hourly rate, especially if they perform at private and corporate parties.

As for the DJs and Karaoke guys out there, most are now working in smoke-filled bars and pulling down the same amount as taled about above, $100 to $125 a night. Some get lucky and DJ weddings, and for this they'll pull down $300 to $600 for a four-hour job--about the same as a good entertainer/musician using a quality keyboard setup and singing.

For me, in my declining years, I'm concentrating on nursing homes, senior centers, assisted living centers, retirement communities and similar venues. The way 2006 is shaping up, I'll likely perform in excess of 300 jobs, and all will be at a rate of $100 per hour. No drunks to contend with, no smoke filled bars, most of the jobs are in the middle of the day on weekdays, and the weekends are open for private and corporate parties that pay considerably more.

I use every tool in the box, including midi files, and an occasional MP3. However, the limitations with midi files are such that I prefer playing live, especially when the dancefloor is packed to capacity. With a midi file, when the music ends--it ends. Where with a live performance, you can keep the mood flowing by doing medleys, or end a song early when necessary.

Lots to think about,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)