Mike, the secret is to not play for the masses.

There are markets out there...big money upscale markets where it's possible to charge $500.00 plus on a Tuesday night for quiet atmosphere creating music for a dinner for 25 people, for instance.

There are jazz lots of jazz only jobs here in the heart of the Bluegrass that pay top dollar. I suspect that the money people are intimidated into believing that they have to like jazz and hire jazz musicians to "fit".

The film soundscore market it also very lucrative. Of course, just supplying music is a harder sell than providing turnkey services,..scripting...camera, editing, sound track, media packaging/graphics, etc. Pay is not as linked to talent as it is to the size of the market. I net over $10,000.00 for each fully produced 15 minute film score for an automobile manufacturer, and do multiple projects a year for them, where I also net many times that for script production and all other elements.

The point is, I'm an average player who has an acceptable level of skills in multiple areas and access to "money" clients.

The downside is, the work is relatively boring, except for the satisfaction of working at that level and fulfilling the communications needs of the client.

It's not nearly as fulfilling as a throw together session on B-3 with great players, but it more than pays the bills.

A good living is absolutely possible. You just have to reach the "non-mass" markets and become the "go-to" source.

Russ