Borrowing from another thread, Mark79100 made a point that, I think, deserves it's own thread. He said:
"Regards my remark about 'music not being fun anymore,' I meant for working musicians out there in the "battlefield" (the venues). Now there is mountains of paperwork involving each job, traffic to get through, tons of equipment to carry, inattentive/unappreciative/rude/musically illiterate audiences, contemporary music that sounds like a washing machine on steroids and impossible to play without 1/2 dozen sequencer programs running simultaneously, etc.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist for those wondering where I'm coming from! The only real enjoyment I get nowadays from music is sitting at the piano and playing my heart out for myself. I wouldn't give that up for the world!

WOW!!! He may not be the only one here who feels that way. Sometimes I get some of the same vibes, especially the part about "inattententive/unappreciative/rude/musically illiterate" people.

I work in a highly seasonal type of environment where, mostly retired folks in the 50+ age group, come down for the winter in kind of a "vacation" frame of mind and expect to be personally catered to. Most belong to country clubs and social organizations of like minded people.

Those from certain parts of country and ethnic heritage tend to cluster together. None are horrible people, but I find their behavior and response to entertainment is very different from one another.

Without going into the specifics of profiling, I will say I find those from the midwest to be the friendliest, most attentive and appreciative people I play for. As a result I solicit at places and organizations that attract people that fit that kind of profile.

It is said that the most popular entertainers have the ability to "read their audiences" and get on their page. Most of us are adaptable and can usually do that. However, when I feel I can't even share the same book as them, I will no longer solicit or accept jobs from them.

I no longer feel bad or regret turning down offers from clients that make my evening less than enjoyable. Entertaining is a very synergistic business. When entertainers and audiences are in total sync, there is nothing better.

Eddie