Yes, the features on the SK880 are cool, but... sorry, but for my ears it sounds crap.

Roland does better sounds. GEM urgently need to improve their rudimental samples and make them up-to-date.

-Piano sounds have too noticeable registers, and sounds too sharp in tenor range. Bass range is too loud.

-Acoustic instruments are decided to be realistic, but they sound more carricated (especially that terrible violin).

-Organs are annoying, expect the Rock Organ, maybe.

-Electric pianos are unusable, expect one Rhodes sound.

-Electric basses are sometimes too thin.

-Synth basses, 808/909-style drums and dance-oriented electric sounds are very good. Acoustic drums are particulary very ear-friendly, but not so "live".

Also, there are too much bugs when use the sample import and keymap assignment. OS draws clock on the screen and put me on standby few seconds even when I do some cardinal operation with samples. Generally - it takes too much time to do a simple job.

GEM will have good perspectives in future if they improve their sounds. If they do, one day they could beat some competitors like Roland, Solton and Yamaha in arranger market. But for now, Roland does better.

Just a personal opinion
Regards

[This message has been edited by Adnan (edited 12-25-2001).]