Diki, a lot of what you are saying is correct, but a lot of what Donny is saying is also correct ("as soon as the audience hears more than one instrument....."). The difference, IMO, is that Donny is more honest with his audience. In your approach, you would do everything possible to keep the audience from suspecting that something "non-live" is going on. Walking away from the keyboard is a way of saying to the audience "okay, i'm using "backing tracks" but hey, I'm here to entertain you. Although I don't personally like "cabaret" type entertainment, I believe that there are two types of audiences; one that is just there to "have a good time" (be entertained), and one that comes out specifically to hear "live music". Neither audience would be happy if they ended up in the wrong venue.

Since there are valid points to be made on both sides of the "is it cheating?" debate, the only thing we can say with any certainty is that, it is probably cheating if your intent is to deceive (and this includes lip-syncing superstars).

The downside of technology (in music) as I see it, is that it puts a lot of no-talent wannabees and pretenders in a position of being able to compete with legitimate musicians for the entertainment dollar. Couple that with a general "dumbing down" of the audience (consider "America" accepting that Antonella Barba was one of the top 10 singers in America), and what you have is musical scene that can in no way compare to the prodigious periods of the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's.

Technology, in and of itself, is not inherently bad, but can certainly be misused to the detriment of the creative process and the mastering of the fundamentals.

Me personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear anything other than live music (in the pure sense of the word), but that's just me and in no way demeans the "entertainer" who will freely and openly use any means necessary to entertain his audience (including bantering with the audience). Sure, it's entertainment, sometimes very good entertainment, but "it ain't music" (or music is not the primary focus).

Lastly, let's not be too adamant about pushing our point-of-view. There is usually an opposing point-of-view that is just as valid as yours. Remember, "EVERY GENERAL TRUTH IS A SPECIFIC LIE, INCLUDING THIS ONE" .

chas