With composites getting lighter and stronger there really is no need to build 50 lb. plus keyboards anymore. But the manufacturers are still using the heavier composites in many cases as we saw Roland do with the E-80. Even with 4 speakers it didn't have to be 50 lbs. in my opinion. I mean we're talking about a 61 key Arranger not an 88 key behemoth. Roland apparently didn't think it was necessary to consider weight when they made the E-80. And if the E-80 doesn't fly off the shelves I hope they wake up and see that its weight may have been a big reason why and the determining factor for many people who may have otherwise bought one. Besides the other big reason of it being astronomically priced.

There is a glimmer of hope though. Take the new MO8 from Yamaha. It is "88" keys and weighs 46 lbs. Take the Roland Fantom X7 which has 76 keys and weighs in at 32 lbs. Take the new Korg TR 76 key which weighs in at only 20.3 lbs!

So I think there is a shift towards lighter and more portable keyboards by the Big Three. Except, of course, in the case of the E-80. They aren't batting a thousand yet but at least in several recent instances we see Yamaha, Roland, and Korg moving in the direction of lighter more portable keyboards. For which I commend them.

Best regards,
Mike