I guess stuff like this should tick me off a little, but instead I almost have to laugh at it, even if it's with a snicker. I kinda get a kick out of some of the guys who belittle arrangers and yet do modern dance / synth stuff that is so reliant on using sample loops of other material that has long been out there. Oh my God, what a joke that is. The thing is, I CAN play mostly anything I hear or want to hear / compose on my instrument in real time at the drop of a hat ( some pieces obviously require practice ). Can they ? I'm guessing some can but then again why all the need for sampling / resampling of material that has already been there and done that ? Sure there are cool loops / arpeggios that are unique to synths and that would be virtually impossible to play in real time, but what about the rest of it ? Then again, the footnote you posted is the most telltale of all Scott. We have to keep it in perspective based on the source

Arrangers for me do two things. At first I used them mainly for an aid to composing and playing my own stuff. I just don't need to play, or in the case of certain instruments like drums, sequence EVERY note of every measure to make a good song. It's a waste of my valuable time. Now that I am doing live work again, I can do so much with a good arranger board. ( Arrangers in today's form weren't even available the last time I played live ) I believe that a good entertainer can entertain, whether he / she is using a 9000 pro, a PA80, a kazoo, or good jokes and stories. That is an ability unto itself. It certainly helps to have the right tools specific to your type of entertainment, but the tools themselves do not make the entertainer. How many people in an audience would really care ( or even know ) whether there favorite singer or band's keyboard player is using a Triton, 9000 pro or a PA80 ? Some people are curious where all the sound comes from because there are only two of us in my current act ( or in some cases just me alone ), but years ago, when I was in a full live band, only other musicians themselves ever seemed to notice what type of keys I played.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-25-2002).]