Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Scott,
Would all Yamaha keyboards recognize rootless chords?
Starkeeper

Hi Starkeeper: Yep. All Yamaha ARRANGER keyboards recently produced (PSR9000, 9000pro, PSR2000, PSR2100, PSR3000, Tyros) recognize the rootless chords as outlined (and in ALL keys as well) in SPLIT keyboard, 'full fingered' modes. Ketron has added this as well. In addition, Technics keyboards recognize rootless chords

Hi Paolo: First of all, MANY thanks for taking the time to perform the chord test.

Your PA1X chord recognition results are EXACTLY the results I was hoping for. I wish to thank Korg for finally stepping up to the plate and including them on the PA1X/PA1Xpro. I want to especially thank those here that 'went to bat for me' personally contacting Korg and requesting this feature be added as well. Power to the people! We have spoken, and the manufacterers are FINALLY listening. I now hope Roland & GEM will finally come on board as well.

As I've stated often here on SZ, the II-V-I chord progression is perhaps the most commonly heard progression in popular music, especially with classic pop-jazz standards. The above chord voicings allow one to play a rootless jazzy style sounding chord progression which involves very small interval (no more than a whole step) individual voice movement, resulting in more desirable SMOOTH sounding chord transitions. Play the below chord progressions, selecting an acoustic jazz style auto accomp and LISTEN and COMPARE it to the sound of merely playing a basic root chord progression (given at the end of this post):

Key of C:
1) F1-C2-E2: Dm79 (II)
2) F1-B1-E2: G713 (V)
3) E1-A1-D2: C69 (I)

Key of F:
4) F1-G1-Bb1-D2: Gmin7 (II)
5) E1-Bb1-D2: C79 (V)
6) E1-F1-A1-C2: FMaj7 (1)

Key of Bb:
7) Eb1-Bb1-D2: Cm79 (II)
8) Eb1-A1-D2: F713 (V)
9) D1-G1-C2: Bb69 (I)

Key of Ab:
10)Ab1-Bb1-Db2-F2: Bbmin7 (II)
11)G1-Db2-F2: Eb79 (V)
12)G1-Ab1-C2-Eb2: G#Maj7 (same as AbMaj7) (I)

For Comparison, play & listen to the following 'rootincluded' II-V-I chord progression:

Key of C:
1)D1-F1-A1-C2: Dm7 (II)
2)D1-F1-G1-B1: G7 (V)
3)C1-E1-G1-A1: C6 (1)

Scott