Jill-

A suggestion...

I'd absolutely encourage you to contact an Activity Director and find out when her best entertainer is performing. Ask for his/her phone number...Call them and ask if they'd mind you attending their next performance at XYZ Retirement Place. 99% of the time they'll say sure, c'mon down.

Getting to meet a well-thought of performer will give you some very localized insights on what facilites in your neck of the woods look for and find appealling. Depending on how close your act is to the person's act the AD suggests you come watch, you might make it clear up front that you're looking to market yourself in a new direction and that out of respect for this entertainer letting you come in and watch him do his thing, this facility would be "hands off".

First of all, they'll be impressed by your dis-arming approach and probably say don't worry about working here...

As I alluded to in another post ("Need advice from pros who are gigging") be careful about straying too far from your main purpose for being there. Being charming, personable, genuine, etc. in betwen songs does take practice...But be careful your in between song stuff doesn't sound "canned" or "scripted."

This is where Donnie hits the nail on the head. From watching others and practicing/performing ALOT it gets easier and easier. There are no shortcuts...For some people chatter is easy as pie...for others, its more difficult. Find your comfort zone and remember at all times that the song's the thing!

If you're ever up for a day trip to Lima, give me a shout...You'd be welcome to watch a show. I play in that area every month at one place or another. Maybe we could do lunch, too...

Always nice to meet up with another 'Zoner!

Good luck-

Bill in Dayton