Hi;

This is a corrected posting after reading the responses of Fran and Don.

I think this feature of this forum allowing you to correct and\or edit a previous posting is fantastic!

I have been using converted General Midi files on my Technics Kn2000 for several years.

I also own a recent model X1. As far as the quality of General Midi reproduction - with certain GM files the X1 is superb - However perhaps because of my lack of experience in utilizing the keyboard - I am still not able to get the maximum from General Midi files.

1. The X1 has no Midi memory - without the disk in the slot. Remove the disk - it's all over! That is correct in my X1. I get an error message - saying disk removed.

2. My earlier statement that you cannot change the key while a song is playing is incorrect as was pointed out to me - not only can you change the key - but you can change the key of the keyboard - while the General Midi file remains in it's original key - fantastic! - Sorry!

3. Editing a General Midi file in the X1 is not something that I am familiar enough with at this point to comment on.

4. The X1 will definitely read Double Density disks - contrary to my earlier statement. I stand corrected on that point. Another error on my part!

However my X1 will not read type 0 General Midi - and won't convert 0 to 1 in the keyboard.

My Kn2000 - vintage 1994 or so - does not play General Midi files with the same brilliant sound of the X1 - but when you convert them into Technics format - and optimize the sounds - they have great presence and musicality - I invite anyone with a Kn2000 available to listen - to write to me for a sample via E mail.

This is in large effort due to the simplicity of operation - and the ease of editing in the KN2000 - coupled with the fact that it permits rhythm augmentation using the General Midi Drumkit PLUS the automatic drum rhythms of the Kn2000 - in PERFECT synchronization - with all the breaks of the APC parts etc - and even using two totally different drum kits at the same time.

If this is possible in the X1 - I would appreciate some input.

Are they as SHARP and as BRILLIANT as the X1 - of course not -

Can you do the same thing in the Kn6000 - I don't know the answer - since I have not tried it out to that extent.

They however are not played properly in a Kn3000 Kn5000 or Kn6000 - which is why I still have my Kn2000. ( the Kn6000 is as I understand it much improved over the Kn5000 in this respect)

They of course being Technics proprietary format will not play in Solton - Korg - Ensonic - Yamaha and what have you - including the X1.

Don't misunderstand me - I have a lot of fun playing my X1 - I love it -

I obviously have a lot more to learn about working with Midi disks in the X1 - perhaps some of you with experience in that area can give me the benefit of your knoweledge.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jer (edited 12-11-1999).]