No samp­led sax sound can ev­er sound quite like the Real Thing. Sax­es are among the most var­i­ab­le of in­stru­ments in their to­nal qual­ity and na­ture even dur­ing a sing­le note, and a samp­le can only cap­ture the par­tic­ul­ar var­i­a­tion(s) that the or­ig­in­al play­er of the real sax be­ing samp­led ac­tu­al­ly used. Once you have that dig­it­ized recording (which is all a samp­le is, after all), there’s not that much you can do to it (not in real-time, an­y­way) that would mim­ic what a real sax play­er could do.

Oh, you could va­ry the vi­bra­to depth with your Mod wheel, or set that or a foot ped­al or af­ter-touch to con­trol dig­it­al sub­trac­tive fil­ters to sim­u­late “bright­ness,” or even cross-fade be­tween mul­tip­le samp­les based on af­ter-touch pres­sure (per­haps the most re­al­is­tic thing you can do with samp­les but still not all that re­al­ist­ic: when a real sax player bright­ens his tone, he is not cross-fad­ing be­tween a mel­low sax sound and a bright one!), etc., but while all of those would give you some ex­pres­sive­ness above and be­yond a dry samp­le play­back, none of them would sound quite like what a real sax player does with his lips, tongue, throat, chest, etc.

No, the on­ly way at pres­ent to get tru­ly re­al­is­tic and nat­u­ral­ly ex­pres­sive sax sounds out of an el­ec­tron­ic in­stru­ment is with phys­ic­al mod­el­ling. The on­ly ar­ranger key­board that I know of that can do this for sure is Ya­ma­ha’s 9000Pro with one of its PLG slots filled with a PLG-150VL card, and also using a Breath Con­trol­ler or some oth­er means of send­ing the prop­er MIDI CCs. I’ve heard that the Tech­nics KN6000 (and pre­su­mab­ly 6500) can do some­thing sim­il­ar by track­ing a hu­man voice sing­ing into its mi­cro­phone, and using that to mod­u­late its brass and reed sounds, but I’ve nev­er heard this in action.

My $15 (not a typo!) YMF724-equip­ped PCI sound card in­cludes the equiv­al­ent of the PLG-150VL (sans ab­il­ity to pro­gram whole new al­go­rithms). I have just up­load­ed a samp­le to the Web space I got with my ISP but have never used for anything. It’s a MIDI file that I mod­if­ied from a demo I down­load­ed from NTon­yX’s web site to not use XG voi­ces past Level 1 (it was de­signed for the MU100R which is Lev­el 4 XG plus VL and VH, though of course the VH was­n’t used in this piece) that has an ab­so­lute­ly phe­nom­en­al, tru­ly ex­pres­sive ten­or jazz sax, and al­so a real­ly cool but short trum­pet part about 2¤3of the way through the song, both of which use VL. The back­ing mu­sic is en­tire­ly Lev­el 1 XG wave­ta­ble samp­led voi­ces, but even they sound better than usual due to full usage of the XG spec in­clu­ding use of MIDI Con­tin­u­ous Con­trol­lers (CCs). The MIDI file should the­o­ret­ic­al­ly play as-is on a 9000Pro with VL card installed (let me know if it doesn’t work right), as well as on any PC with a YMF7#4-based sound card or the S-YXG100plus 1.0 Soft Synth with SoftPLG-100VL module installed (this only gets in­stalled if you have a real In­tel Cel­er­on or Pen­ti­um II or ///, not an AMD). I will up­load an ASF (Win­dows Me­dia Au­dio) ver­sion as well so those of you with­out VL and Lev­el 1 XG (or better) equip­ment can still hear it the way it’s sup­posed to be. I ful­ly ex­pect that when you hear the .ASF, you will also want to down­load the .MIDi file (a much smal­ler file!) and load it in­to a se­quen­cer (even if you don’t have the MIDI gear need­ed to hear it in all its glo­ry), just to prove to your­self that this real­ly is MIDI that you’re hear­ing (off a $15 PC sound card’s in­ter­nal MIDI ca­pab­il­it­ies, no less)! It’s that good!

There are other as­pects to this song that dem­on­strate some other rath­er in­ter­est­ing tech­nol­o­gy. For one thing, none of the parts, neith­er XG samp­les nor VL, were gen­er­a­ted by re­cord­ing a live hu­man play­er’s play­ing. Nor were they man­u­al­ly tweaked with CC con­trol curves in an ad­vanced seq­uen­cer such as Cake­Walk, nor were the CC val­ues hand-en­tered in a less-so­phis­tic­a­ted MIDI ed­it­or (though I did do some hand-tweak­ing of the set­ups and a glo­bal re­place on which MIDI CC was being used in one case, I did not ad­just the val­ues them­selves). No, ev­ery nu­ance you hear, in VL and in wave­ta­bles (lis­ten es­pec­ial­ly to the bass, drums, and guit­ars), was gen­er­a­ted by NTon­yX’s in­cred­ible soft­ware, es­pec­ial­ly Style En­han­cer, which uses ar­tif­ic­ial in­tel­lig­ence to add hu­man-like nu­an­ces and warmth to dry hand-en­tered or key­board-played MIDI tracks! They now have a new, ea­si­er-to-use and more au­to­ma­ted pro­gram called Stylizer. I have long thought that Ya­ma­ha should li­cense their tech­nol­o­gies for use in the Sytles of a new se­ries of PSRs and Pro-line ar­ran­ger key­boards (the Mo­tif is a step in the right direction, as is the Korg KAR­MA, but neither is quite what NTon­yX is).