Scott:

Hmmmm... as suggested, when I call up the step record mode on my Yamaha 9000 Pro it says 384ppq (this is also clearly visible in the illustrations in 9000's manual under step recording). It gets even weirder if you go to chord step recording: 2ppq ! I'm not at all sure if the 384ppq rate would also apply to real-time recording. It's possible that this could be a limitation of the current OS rather than the processor also. This is interesting but inconclusive. There is no other reference to the 9000's ppq rate anywhere else I know of. I'd like to know more.

There's no doubt that the PSR2000 is using breaking technology, such as the XF Scorch music display I envy. But I wouldn't under-rate the importance of polyphony, especially with Yamaha keyboards. Many sounds are layered by default (such as organ patches) and then you can add layers yourself (piano/strings for example). Add sustain pedal and accompaniment or song file playback with your performance and you've got far more than ten-fingers worth of polyphony happening. That's why I added the PF expansion card (64) and the DX expansion card (16) to my 9000 Pro (126 stock: 206 note polyphony total) to accomodate everything I can do at the same time with ten fingers, two feet and one brain.