Hi George,

I think I finally found the place in the QY70 Manual which covers how the QY70 might be used to play as an "arranger style" keyboard via an external keyboard controller.

On page 227 of the QY70 user manual, it talks about setting the "fingered zone" for chord recognition. Question: Do the notes actually sound when playing chords in the "fingered chord" zone or does it trigger just the backup accomaniments to play? How about the notes played to the right of the "fingered chord zone" - can you select the sound patch you want those notes to play?

I'm also wondering if you set the "fingered zone" over the entire keyboard if that would be the equivilent of "pianist mode"? Have you tried this George?

1)split keyboard: "fingered zone" left-side of keyboard only with melody on
right side and
2) pianist mode: "fingered zone" over the entire keyboard.

Strange that the QY70 manual does not address this "live playing" arranger keyboard feature in their manual. Certainly Yamaha has missed a golden marketing opportunity here.

Thanks George for bringing up the QY70 as an ultra-light weight arranger keyboard alternative. Even though the QY70 lacks many features of a full sized arranger keyboard, it certainly should work great for rehearsal/practice. Maybe you should get Yamaha to pay you an extra commision for promoting the QY70's secret "arranger keyboard" aspect (ha, ha).

- Scott