Hi arranger keyboard friends,

I am looking for an "ultra" small & lightweight portable alternative to a standard size "arranger-style" keyboard for use on airplanes, in cars, etc. I am looking for an auto-accompaniment unit that can recognize chords played during "live play mode" in either split mode (fingered chords in the left hand and melody in the right hand) or pianist mode (chords read over the entire range of the keyboard). Originally I had the impression that the Yamaha QY70 could do this, but after looking over the Yamaha QY70 owner's manual, I think that this may NOT be the case. The Yamaha QY70 can indeed read/interprete chords played via an external keyboard controller, but it seems (at least from my intereptation of the manual) specifically intended for "recording" chord progressions ONLY, not triggering auto-accompaniment harmonies while playing melody (during plackback) as in a true Arranger Keyboard. Is there anyone out there who has actually been able to get the Yamaha QY70 to work as a "liveplaying" arranger keyboard (either fingered or pianist mode) using an external keyboard controller?

I realize that the QY70 does not have other arranger keyboard functions like "syncro start" and that triggering "fills" etc would be awkward but if you can at least get the QY70 to recognize chords and trigger proper auto-accompaniment harmonies while playing a song live it would be a real cool (auto-accompaniment ) device for practice and rehearsal (on the road & in the air).

I really like the QY70 for its' size but I need to know for sure if the QY70 will actually work as an arranger keyboard substitute.

Feedback from QY70 owners or others who have experience with the QY70 would be greatly appreciated.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-30-1999).]