Boo,
Clif is correct - the EX30 has a built in stereo mixer, but only enough amps for one side of stereo. If you go with the Mackies, you need to use a mixer and effects too. The sound quality is still night & day difference, though. This is only an alternative if you want to save money or size or both. The Samson does NOT perform as well as the mackie. Just for the record, neither does the new powered EV 300sx series - I had a pair out at the end of August and the difference was far too great. I also A/B'd the Mackie to a Roland Cube100 and the Mackie blew it away. The cube is only 100 watts, but it has a 15' woofer and I always liked the sound......until I put them side ny side.
I'm so happy with the sound that it is now my main concern - the keyboard problems seem secondary now. I can make anything sound good through these puppies!
Don't misunderstand Boo,if you have a budget or the 51 lbs is an issue - then go for the Samson - otherwise, there really is NO choice. They sound too good to believe. The best part is the tight bass and smooth high end dispersion. It seems like the speakers are facing every direction.