Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
We've discussed the Open Labs nEko here before. It is essentially a softsynth machine, meaning it will sound like whatever VSTi software synthesizers, samplers and audio processing plug-ins you install in it. It is a Windows PC-based synth and is fully user-customizable to the nth degree, and some have suggested that using software such as OMB that it may be possible to turn a nEko into a very powerful arranger. Since you can make it sound however you like with a nearly infinite combinations of sounds, demos really don't apply in this case.

As to the aesthetics, it's neat that the control modules are interchangeable and you can choose which ones you want. But again, there is only a 61-note version available currently. I don't particularly think this instrument is ugly myself - I've seen worse. And we all had had a sticker-shock reaction when Open Labs first came out with their top models of the nEko, but they've come out with some lower-priced models and since Korg, Yamaha and Roland have increasingly expensive arrangers available or coming, the nEko doesn't look so overpriced anymore. When a 76-note version of the nEko comes out, it'll merit due consideration IMHO.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-28-2005).]

Dear Pro;

I find your statement about using an expanable keyboard such as the Openlabs and combining it with OMB software to create a very novel& state-of-the-Art arranger very interesting. From reading the OMB information it still is not evident wether one has create from scratch or load styles form other arangers into order to be able to use them in the set up described above. Has anyone tried the OMB ( or similar software) together with a high quality synth or VSTi + midi controller ( i.e. Motif/Alesis/Phantom etc + OMB or similar ) ?? What were the results? I wonder how the ergonomics wouldp would work in a live venue. It is difficult to determine on not having used this product before, wether it would be more ideal for studio/home vs. live performances. Would time be a factor for selecting and load accompaniment styles from the computer/OMB for each song in a set?

AS with other software ( i.e.StyleWorks 2000/ style-convertors) problems occur when converting styles from other keyborads ( i.e. they require modification to sound right after import). I wonder if the same applies when OMB assigns internal voices of a sythn to create the styles. Do they have to be extensively tweaked to sound right. If so this, could be an extensive amount of labor.

Has anyone used the OMB software in any situtation? Please comment on its use as a live auto-accompaniment.

I suppose the benefit of the mediastation X-76 is that it is upgradable as the open labs, but also contains the arranger functions built-in ( and can still be modified + up-load new styles ) without the need for an external computer

Thank-you
Regards;
SCP