We've discussed the Open Labs nEko here before. It is essentially a softsynth machine, meaning it will sound like whatever VSTi software synthesizers, samplers and audio processing plug-ins you install in it. It is a Windows PC-based synth and is fully user-customizable to the nth degree, and some have suggested that using software such as OMB that it may be possible to turn a nEko into a very powerful arranger. Since you can make it sound however you like with a nearly infinite combinations of sounds, demos really don't apply in this case.

As to the aesthetics, it's neat that the control modules are interchangeable and you can choose which ones you want. But again, there is only a 61-note version available currently. I don't particularly think this instrument is ugly myself - I've seen worse. And we all had had a sticker-shock reaction when Open Labs first came out with their top models of the nEko, but they've come out with some lower-priced models and since Korg, Yamaha and Roland have increasingly expensive arrangers available or coming, the nEko doesn't look so overpriced anymore. When a 76-note version of the nEko comes out, it'll merit due consideration IMHO.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-28-2005).]