I have a Pro Tools HD System and use it only when a client requests it which is rare. While Pro Tools HD is by far the most reliable Pro Tools system Digidesign has ever developed, its still not on par with my Fairlight Hard Disk Recorders for sound, speed, reliability, and ease of use. Pro Tools however has become a standard at most commercial studios here in the US for a few reasons. 1. Its relatively cheap to get into if you start with an MBOX or Digi 001. 2. Most people already own a computer so the idea of buying software is very appealing to them. 3. Pro Tools does allow one to start with a basic system then upgrade as they can afford to. 4. Compatibility with other studios is also very appealing. 5. Plug Ins and the ability to mix in a single environment also make it appealing.

Each hard disk recorder has its advantages and disadvantages and which one to choose is a personal choice. Personally I've found that I like hardware based recorders much better than computer based systems for their reliability and intuitive interface. At least my Fairlight systems have been rock solid and delivered everything as promised. I can't say the same thing for Pro Tools although the PT HD system isn't bad. I see lots of users who enjoy using Plug Ins but I've yet to find a plug in that sounds anywhere near as good as its hardware based counterpart. Perhaps one day software plug ins will equal or rival hardware but that hasn't happened yet.