One of my New Years resolutions for 2005 is to add a healthy number of upbeat songs from the late 60's. 70's and 80's to my book. When I look at my song list, I see a healthy number of faster swing and oldies tunes, but I'm short (IMO) on more upbeat contemporary songs.

Part of this is due to the client base I serve. Loads of ballroom dances every month...a few non-dance gigs where I play more Elton John, James Taylor, Eagles, etc. type stuff. I always play a variety nightly but it seems almost easy to keep playing the same old ballads that everybody likes and keep the dance floor packed.

Let's face it...in towns like mine and probably yours, the ballroom dance crowd is slowly but surely dying off. I should be adding more contemporary songs from the 70's - 90's to stay as fresh as possible.

I need/want to add some quality pop tunes that people will enjoy and possibly dance to. Also, I really like playing songs that most of the other guys on the Dayton club scene don't play. (LOL, There IS no Dayton "Club Scene" you know what I mean...) For example, I've started playing "Reminiscing" by the Little River Band and the first 3 dates I've used it people have really responded well to it. I wouldn't call it upbeat necessarily, but its not a traditional ballad called "Crazy", "Blue Moon", "Misty" or "For the Good Times."

I adore the older stuff as much as anyone, but for those of us playing lots of animal clubs, the boys (and girls) coming back from Iraq and joining a VFW or American Legion for the first time would rather hear songs they know than one there parents danced to...

Suggestions?

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-09-2005).]