SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#471964 - 06/28/19 11:37 AM Re: ot/ Touch of Grey For Men [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
For those with no hair, they do not have this option to work with.
Gary (The old, retired fart.)

So Gary, are you saying only guys with hair look good on stage and get a lot of jobs???

#471967 - 06/28/19 12:26 PM Re: ot/ Touch of Grey For Men [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Absolutely not, Tony. Maybe you should reread my posts. I was referring to what worked for ME! Dying my hair made me appear younger, which resulted in more jobs for ME, though I was still in my early 40s, but had snow white hair. If you don't have any hair, then you do not have that tool in your arsenal.

In today's world, I guess anything goes when it comes to appearance on stage while performing music. Hell, Jimmy Buffett doesn't wear shoes, he wears ragged jeans, and never combs his hair. He made more money than Davy Crockett. I like to play ZZ-Top music, but I would be embarrassed if I looked like him on stage.

My point was about Age Discrimination, which anyone over age 50 that has tried to get a job, knows exists. My dad began driving a truck when he was just 13 years old, delivering milk. By the time he was 16, he was driving a big rig, often making two local runs a day. At age 50, the company he worked for relocated to Philadelphia. He was unwilling to relocate, and applied for a job with Pantry Pride. He was turned down, and the PR guy said he was too old to be driving a big rig. He contacted his Teamster's Union representative, who immediately went to the PR guy and informed him that the union would shut them down by the next day if they didn't reconsider. He got the job, then when they found out just how skilled he was, they made him a yard jockey at nearly twice the usual salary.

After a year, I went back to see many of the ADs that turned me down for a job earlier. I don't believe they recognized me with brown hair - nearly all hired me and I booked them for the entire year, and often the following year as well. I am thoroughly convinced that had I returned with my snow white hair, I would have not been hired at all.

As I stated several times, for ME, this was a business decision, one that was highly effective, and I still get calls for jobs two years after retiring, though most are for private parties. Now, I'm sure that bald, old guys get lots of work, but I'm equally sure that someone that looks like a young version of Elvis would garner more jobs at the same locations. His hair was among his many trademarks, right up there with his entertainment talent and his attire. All those things have an impact and age discrimination still exists in this day and age.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#471980 - 06/28/19 03:37 PM Re: ot/ Touch of Grey For Men [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Whatever works ...

#471999 - 06/29/19 06:37 AM Re: ot/ Touch of Grey For Men [Re: travlin'easy]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Tracey, the only reason I did this is to prove a point - it can make you APPEAR YOUNGER LOOKING, which can result in more music jobs. Age discrimination exists and has existed for as long as I can remember. For ME, an inexpensive dye job resulted in a huge increase in the number of jobs I landed yearly. I went from just over 200 jobs a year to nearly 450 jobs a year. To ME, it made good business sense. For those with no hair, they do not have this option to work with.

This has nothing to do with vanity - it's a business tool that for some, can be very effective. When we go on stage, and perform in front of an audience, most entertainers want to look their best. In the past, most top entertainers dress accordingly, they wore sharp pressed slacks, sport coats or tuxedos, tie, highly polished shoes, clean shaven, and neatly trimmed hair. We tried to look our best, and at the very least, better than our audiences. We took pride in out appearance, both on stage and off.

When I played the restaurant circuit, I wore a tuxedo every night I was working. I frequently received complements about my attire and professional appearance, which often resulted in more money in the tip jar. Anyone that has worked the restaurant entertainment circuit knows that the tip jar can provide as much or more income per night than the salary they are paid from the facility.

Now, do I enjoy looking a bit younger than my age - ABSOLUTELY! Who doesn't? When they take my dead arse to the Maryland Anatomy Lab at the University of Maryland Hospital, the med student cutting me apart to learn human anatomy really won't give a damned about my hair color. He or she will be looking at my internal organs and trying not to throw up or pass out. Been there - done that!

Bottom line, when you look your best on stage, you will likely book more jobs, and make more money. Nothing wrong with that!

Gary (The old, retired fart.)

Great post Gary and I agree completely.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online