SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#468578 - 04/12/19 02:15 PM EA7 and text
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Probably Fran . . .
Is there any way you can think of to sync a Performance or style to a text file on PC, Android, etc. ? Or the other way around. . .
Thanks!

#468651 - 04/13/19 08:35 PM Re: EA7 and text [Re: DonM]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hi Don! I'm not Fran. But I do know that on other Rolands, you can call a specific bank and registration with a MIDI message. So using this approach, your data file with chords & lyrics might contain a link that summons the first registration you want to use for a particular song.

Edit: I spent a while reading manuals tonight. From the G70 all the way through the BK-series, the Program Change parameter to recall a user program was CC00 = 7AH (122). The structure of "pages," "banks," and the way user programs were stored and recalled on the arranger appears to have changed between the G/E series and the BK's, but the functionality is similar.

Moving forward to the E-A7: Page 63 of the Reference manual mentions a MIDI parameter "User Program PC Rx." Its description implies that the E-A7 can be directed to change user programs through MIDI (or not, depending on whether this parameter is turned "on" or "off.") The manuals further describe that on the E-A7, user programs are grouped into 10 "banks" of ten programs each. However, I can't find any parameter reference that describes how these banks would be specifically addressed through a MIDI message. So some trial-and-error may be necessary.

There is also a corresponding parameter for "User Program PC Tx." So it seems possible that with a computer-based MIDI utility and some time spent mapping, you could indeed display a specific file on the computer or tablet when you select a particular bank and user program. Note that the E-A7 is limited to 100 user programs per "set." If you need more than 100 total registrations, you would somehow have to tell the computer to look in a different folder or something when you load a new set, because my guess is that the MIDI messages coming out of the E-A7 would be the same no matter which set is loaded.

Great question! Following this topic for my own use! -Ted

Edited by TedS (04/13/19 11:07 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online