SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#451047 - 04/25/18 11:36 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: FransN]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By FransN
It is the new AiX sound engine. My privia has the AiR sound engine. About the sound engine, Some sounds are not that good out of the box but as soon you start editing the sounds you will be amazed what you can achieve. Same for the styles. Also the Mz x 500/300 have much improved after the updates.

You are right Frans, the AiX...
sorry for my typo...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#451082 - 04/26/18 01:37 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: Dnj]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By Dnj
As a singer first lead voices don't concern me too much as they are all up to par for accompaniment and solos for a singer/player. It amazes me how little people use sounds anyway in their performance demos songs...mostly I hear lead piano, but not alot of changing instrument lead sounds thru-out the song which gets boring to the listener imo...

I could not agree more and have already written about it in several of my reflections. Nearly all of those who actually sing and use their arranger as a backup band will use very few different sounds for their right hand than piano, guitars, sax, brass and the occasional accordeon or other sound.

The quest for more and more sounds is pretty absurd unless you want to become a 21st century Jean Michel Jarre or perhaps another New Age guru (haha !!) which brings me to re-iterate what I said before:
If you are a singer your first choice will be the PA4X or SD9 and if those are too expensive the PA1000 or SD7 will be a very worth while second choice imho.
If you only perform instrumentally , either at home or on stage, my first choice would be Genos or otherwise a used Tyros or the new PSR 975. Enough said.............

regards
JOhn

#451095 - 04/26/18 06:55 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By john smies
Originally Posted By Dnj
As a singer first lead voices don't concern me too much as they are all up to par for accompaniment and solos for a singer/player. It amazes me how little people use sounds anyway in their performance demos songs...mostly I hear lead piano, but not alot of changing instrument lead sounds thru-out the song which gets boring to the listener imo...

I could not agree more and have already written about it in several of my reflections. Nearly all of those who actually sing and use their arranger as a backup band will use very few different sounds for their right hand than piano, guitars, sax, brass and the occasional accordeon or other sound.

The quest for more and more sounds is pretty absurd unless you want to become a 21st century Jean Michel Jarre or perhaps another New Age guru (haha !!) which brings me to re-iterate what I said before:
If you are a singer your first choice will be the PA4X or SD9 and if those are too expensive the PA1000 or SD7 will be a very worth while second choice imho.
If you only perform instrumentally , either at home or on stage, my first choice would be Genos or otherwise a used Tyros or the new PSR 975. Enough said.............

regards
JOhn

Great post John right on point for sure...

PS you left out the EA7 for live performing too....just sayin..

#451100 - 04/26/18 07:21 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: hbinfo2001]
124 Offline

Spot on, John and Donny. As a singer myself, that pretty well sums up my backing requirements. When it comes to some instrumental only players, I've heard some people play a different lead voice on every flippin' verse. That just grates on me.

#451115 - 04/26/18 08:09 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By 124
When it comes to some instrumental only players, I've heard some people play a different lead voice on every flippin' verse. That just grates on me.

That's interesting ... if you were listening to a band play, wouldn't different instruments play on different verses? ... or is it that with each voice that's being used the melody is exactly the same ... that situation gets to ME ... I'm short on my music theory and chord structure/substitution and harmonies, but I can do a fairly competent job of taking an ad-lib solo around the basic chord structure of the song so it sounds somewhat different when using a different voice ...

#451120 - 04/26/18 09:32 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By 124
When it comes to some instrumental only players, I've heard some people play a different lead voice on every flippin' verse. That just grates on me.

That's interesting ... if you were listening to a band play, wouldn't different instruments play on different verses? ... or is it that with each voice that's being used the melody is exactly the same ... that situation gets to ME ... I'm short on my music theory and chord structure/substitution and harmonies, but I can do a fairly competent job of taking an ad-lib solo around the basic chord structure of the song so it sounds somewhat different when using a different voice ...

Exactly, Tony. I guess what triggered me on this was that I listened to someone on another forum playing a 60's classic with, to me, totally inappropriate lead voices, i.e., harmonica, clarinet - one per verse. And yes, the melody was exactly the same throughout, as well:(. There were other single-voice instruments as well. I know it's individual choice, but this was so cringeworthy.

I think that if I played instrumentals, I hope I'd be more aware of context in which lead instruments I chose to use. I mean, I don't want to hear the solo from, say, Johnny B. Goode played on anything other than a guitar, or at least an expert keyboard emulation of same.

#451128 - 04/26/18 10:39 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: hbinfo2001]
Bachus Offline

Isn’t the main reason for arrangers to have so many different sounds, for the styles, and not so much for the main voices?

When it comes to main voices, i guess i am one of the few here using a lot of synth voices, espescially when covering vocals with an instrument, the diversity of a modern days synth allows to come close to the timbre of the human voice...

#451139 - 04/26/18 01:49 PM Re: Launch pads [Re: hbinfo2001]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Speaking about Launch Pads I’m confused. First, it seems that Ketron leaves an explanation part to enthusiasts, or did I just miss an official video?

Second, it’s not clear, how can wave files be suitable for accompaniment, there’re just too many possible chords to follow.

Forgive me for skepticism (ignorance), but is it really more than just taking advantage of the fact that memory is very cheap today and it doesn’t take much thinking to put a lot of wave samples into a keyboard? By the way, Dexibell is also about audio accompaniment, and I’m skeptical and ignorant about that as well.

#451158 - 04/27/18 02:32 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: hbinfo2001]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Isn’t the main reason for arrangers to have so many different sounds, for the styles, and not so much for the main voices?

Bachus:

I think that is a good thought if you are emulating a vocal. I will remember that. However, if one is trying to be a OMB, other solo instruments would seem to be in order, as discussed, at least I do also.

#451178 - 04/27/18 09:30 AM Re: Launch pads [Re: Kabinopus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Speaking about Launch Pads I’m confused. First, it seems that Ketron leaves an explanation part to enthusiasts, or did I just miss an official video?

Second, it’s not clear, how can wave files be suitable for accompaniment, there’re just too many possible chords to follow.

Forgive me for skepticism (ignorance), but is it really more than just taking advantage of the fact that memory is very cheap today and it doesn’t take much thinking to put a lot of wave samples into a keyboard? By the way, Dexibell is also about audio accompaniment, and I’m skeptical and ignorant about that as well.

Tthe launchpads can both work as an arranger type accompaniment as well as a sequencer, with preprogrammed chord progression.. so i guess you either need to play the right chords.. or preprogram your chords...

Could also work more like an arpegiator, where the audio file gets transposed up or down based on the mainchord... but then you would keep minor and major differences and it would require the keyboard to know the scale youre playing in...

So basically i guessed normal wav files work best with preprogramme dprogressions

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online