SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#415719 - 01/31/16 11:09 AM Re: Whatever the thread title is [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

whats the difference you can record a SMf then convert it to Mp3 play it back and play on top of it one hand or two hand parts and sing too...no problem.

#415720 - 01/31/16 11:23 AM Re: Whatever the thread title is [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
whats the difference you can record a SMf then convert it to Mp3 play it back and play on top of it one hand or two hand parts and sing too...no problem.

Basically you will loose quallity with a non lossless compression like mp3...

Seriously, when playing you need to ask yourself, are you an entertainer ( because thats generally what people pay you for as an OMB) if your answer to that question is yes, then it does not matter how, as long as you entertain...

But then, if you play with a trio in a bluescafe, thats where you are seen as a musician, where people come not to be entertained, but where they come to listen to your live performance..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#415721 - 01/31/16 11:29 AM Re: Whatever the thread title is [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Its all about the situation your in. I too can play both hands and feet if necessary with a Style. Used to do it with a real drummer in a duo and then alone with a drum machine. Done lots of solo Piano work too. Bhe SMFs, if used and edited correctly just sound better with me playing just the keyboard part as I would do with a band. And you can concentrate on your Vocals more.
I refused to DJ for a log time but came around and got lots of work. I refused to use SMFs because I felt it was cheating. But after doing it and playing along liveI've changed my mind. The music business has steadly opened up to those with lesser and lesser talent and we can't change that.
Just do the best we can to satisfy ourselves and most important out audiences.

#415739 - 01/31/16 05:00 PM Re: Whatever the thread title is [Re: Bill Lewis]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Everything we use carries a negative and a positive.

Much of today’s music gains its popularity from the effects and added lines which support the melody. For this reason midi files are needed – in most cases you cannot play the song without background voice and added lines. So midi files and Mp3 are used. This does not add or take away from a performer.
The negative side:

Most music, not all, increases the tempo of the song to create excitement. It is also one of the main reasons to modulate to the next higher key. The change of tempo is very slight, hard to notice, but it is felt. The excitement in the player is transferred by tempo and key changes. Sweet Georgia Brown changes, Y M C A does not change. On an up tempo my guitar is just ahead of the beat. On a slow song it lags behind. Two different feels, one brings excitement and the other gives a laid back feeling.

The bad news: I know no was an OMB or a midi file can do that. The first time I did a single with a rhythm machine I left frustrated; the heart of my performance was missing, I had become a machine. Mp3 can.
All that just to say, SO WHAT. The criterias for judging must be stated before commenting. I have a keyboard and if I get fulfillment and joy from my performance I’ve won the game. If I need the dollars a new criteria takes place.

Guys, it’s all good, but we lag a bit in ourselves; hence we have to knock somebody. I love the people here, their music and ideas; and especially the crazy conversation that go on – they add to my day.

John C.

#415751 - 01/31/16 08:48 PM Re: Is it Fakeing or is it not, that is the quest. [Re: Bachus]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Basically you will loose quallity with a non lossless compression like mp3...

Seriously, when playing you need to ask yourself, are you an entertainer ( because thats generally what people pay you for as an OMB) if your answer to that question is yes, then it does not matter how, as long as you entertain...

But then, if you play with a trio in a bluescafe, thats where you are seen as a musician, where people come not to be entertained, but where they come to listen to your live performance..

You can be an entertainer and a musician too!
Pianist, guitarist, or any soloist for that matter can play what ever he/she likes to give their best. AND use whatever they can and want to embellish their rendition, OK, as long as the style or smf or even the MP3 is not used in place of their rendition i.e. that's faking it to me.

To me, some are saying you should not use these on the keyboard you buy, is like, saying you should not wear a hat or that jacket or big smile when you go onstage to perform, it's fake and should not be part of the show/act/perform/rendition etc... that would just going too far.

If this was about guitars, would some say the same about stomp pedals and loop machines?? lol Sorry Nigel, just stirring....

Allan

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online