Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#388054 - 04/18/14 03:45 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: abacus]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: abacus
Hi Dave

Windows 7 leaves Windows XP way behind in every single department.

Windows 8 was designed to bridge the gap between tablets and the Desktop, thus allowing optimum use with both a touch screen and a keyboard and mouse, unfortunately they concentrated too much on the touch screen operation thus alienating most of their Desktop users, however the new team are now starting to fix this with updates, (Currently on Windows 8.1 Update 1) however in truth it will probably be next year before the optimum version is finished. (Code name is Threshold although some have speculated that the final name will be Windows 9, so as to get them out of the mire that Windows 8 got them into)

BTW Windows 8 is the best Windows yet for music, leaving even Windows 7 behind.

As to monopolistic, try Apple, as there systems are as closed as you can get, also support is dropped after about 3 years thus you have to upgrade to stay up to date. (Compare this with XP which was supported for about 12 years)

If you go for Linux, go for the Mint version http://www.linuxmint.com/ as the usual Ubuntu is just full of bloat ware these days. (I have been using Linux for about 17 years as an addition to Windows; however it is not suitable as a replacement unless you are happy with basic use. (Which to be quite honest covers most home users)
It is also limited with music as there are not drivers available for a lot of popular music software/hardware. (Home or small productions are fine though)

Hope this helps

Bill

Could not agree more!

To those who does not like Win 8: Come on, get in this decade... now...

Very fast, no problems with old programs, and come on: Windows 3 did NOT have a start button either.
I must be very bright, I learned windows nevertheless...

Jørgen

#388058 - 04/18/14 05:55 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: joso]
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Please explain further?

#388064 - 04/18/14 07:37 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Quote:

Please explain further?

Music software needs streamlined access to any hardware on the computer with no other software getting in the way, and Windows 8 can be optimised for this even better than Windows 7. (In most cases it’s as good as a MAC and in many cases better, which says something)

It really is an excellent OS spoilt by a poor desktop interface. (There are free workarounds until Threshold (Windows 9?) is finalised.

Hope this helps

Bill

#388075 - 04/18/14 12:51 PM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

coffee

Attachments
ccccccccccccc.jpg

#388082 - 04/18/14 02:04 PM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I wrote my first newspaper column with an old, black, Underwood typewriter and erasable bond paper. Now those were the days. Carol was my copy editor and she was tough to work for.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#388097 - 04/19/14 02:02 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
DonM, lung transplants have been around a long time, and I was working in medicine when the first ones were done. We also had another procedure called a pluck, which was a combined heart/lung transplant. Back then they all died because of rejection phenomena.

I guess you are just plucked now lol

#388100 - 04/19/14 06:47 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#388123 - 04/20/14 06:29 AM Re: ot/ How do you like Windows 8 ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z1-g2.html

If you want to use windows 8.1 as your DAW, try this HP Z1 with its 27" touchscreen, put ableton live on it and you are ready to roll... Just put it up in the position of you music stand...

And you will never want to move back to windows 7...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online