SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#310398 - 04/07/10 03:55 PM VSTHOST loosing sound
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Guys.

I really need help here to understand why when I have the VSTHOST running and I change from Performance 000 to 001 in order to get access to the VSTi I have saved into that slot do I sometimes loose all sound.

This shouldn't be happening.

Can I also update the VSTHOST ? I noticed it's running on an old version and I'm thinking that might be the cause as the developer mentions tons of bug fixes in the newer version.

Regards
James

#310399 - 04/07/10 04:33 PM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
AFG Music Offline

did you use VST host on Split-layer key 2 for this?

#310400 - 04/07/10 04:45 PM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
Irishacts Offline

Makes no difference, it happens there as well as any of the 1 to 8 HOSTs.

Regards
James

#310401 - 04/07/10 05:19 PM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
AFG Music Offline

maybe this from manual help you:

Here, you can select one of the 129 possible performances in the current bank (see “Use Bank…”
above).
This operation can also be performed by sending a Program Change MIDI message to the Remote
Control Channel, with one exception: performance 000 is a special program; this cannot be selected by
remote operation. Unless Reload Performance is checked on the File menu, VSTHost loads this
performance as its initial setup. This way, you can define a nice default environment.
A performance’s initial name is “** Init **” – not very inventive, I have to admit – and can be
changed if you save it with Save As… (described below).
The Up and Down buttons can be used to reposition the selected performance in the current bank.
Note: this action takes place immediately; it can not be undone by pressing the Cancel button.

http://www.hermannseib.com/documents/VSTHost.pdf

you most save like this:

000. ** Init ** (do not change this)
001. your VST name1
002. your VST name2

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 04-07-2010).]

#310402 - 04/07/10 05:47 PM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
Irishacts Offline

Thanks for your help but I don't believe VSTHOST is the problem at this stage.

Whatever is responsible for routing midi and audio is the cause of the problem. It does not function correctly all the time. Works most of the time, but not all of the time.

Simply starting and stopping the HOST engine is enough to kill whatever is routing the audio on the Meidastation.

Yet I can do whatever I like on my Laptop here with VSTHOST and can't find any problems at all.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-07-2010).]

#310403 - 04/09/10 04:59 AM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
Magica Alfa Offline

First you need to understand VST HOST. Here you can set first sounds that is open with VST HOST. That one is everytime there as first sound.

I'm using old .wine So I set all this stuff long time. Now I'm updating system only when I need some new VST.

Program change is working well. Only some VST are not supporting program change. For this you can change them with VST HOST.

New version can have some issues, but with old .wine you can play a lot of VSTs. If you have troubles you can ask DOM for it.

#310404 - 04/09/10 06:53 AM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
Irishacts Offline

Hi Magica Alfa.

I know how VSTHOST works and that's not the problem as I've already mentioned.

Try this for example......
Load any VSTi you like and click on this icon to stop the Engine, and click again to start it again.

This is a 100% guaranteed way to kill all sound coming from, and all midi going to the VSTHOST on my Mediastation.

Quote:
Only some VST are not supporting program change. For this you can change them with VST HOST.

It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Program Change. I'm 100% confident if this.

Quote:
New version can have some issues, but with old .wine you can play a lot of VSTs. If you have troubles you can ask DOM for it

So the solution your suggestion is downgrade ? Sorry but that's unacceptable to me. It should work and it's not like I'm trying to load anything unusual. It does not even function right with the plug-ins provided and used in the way they are implemented.

If Wine was the problem, there is no point to the keyboard whatsoever as nobody makes plugins of any interest for Linux.

The cause must be something else. I can't even bootup and go straight into the Organ at times without having problems. Times it works, other times it does not. You can pretty the mini keys on the screen and hear sound at times, but no midi data is even connecting to the plugin at times.

If I don't get a solution to this problem, I can't use the keyboard. I can't work with VSTi's that work most of the time, but not all the time.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-09-2010).]

#310405 - 04/09/10 10:12 AM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Magica Alfa.

I know how VSTHOST works and that's not the problem as I've already mentioned.

Try this for example......
Load any VSTi you like and click on this icon to stop the Engine, and click again to start it again.

This is a 100% guaranteed way to kill all sound coming from, and all midi going to the VSTHOST on my Mediastation.

So the solution your suggestion is downgrade ? Sorry but that's unacceptable to me. It should work and it's not like I'm trying to load anything unusual. It does not even function right with the plug-ins provided and used in the way they are implemented.

If Wine was the problem, there is no point to the keyboard whatsoever as nobody makes plugins of any interest for Linux.

The cause must be something else. I can't even bootup and go straight into the Organ at times without having problems. Times it works, other times it does not. You can pretty the mini keys on the screen and hear sound at times, but no midi data is even connecting to the plugin at times.

If I don't get a solution to this problem, I can't use the keyboard. I can't work with VSTi's that work most of the time, but not all the time.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-09-2010).]

Patient, Doc I get a pain in my side when I raise my arm.....

Doc, well don't raise your arm....

James, the VST stops when I click on the stop engine tab..

Dom, James,stop clicking on the stop engine tab....

Makes sense to me...

#310406 - 04/09/10 10:24 AM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
James
Now I have undertstand what you mean..
question: why you need to turn OFF the Vsthost engine??
When you turn OFF the engine, automatically the audio/midi connection will be lost from Jack, if you run again, then you have to reconect all manually.
The OS script work only on this way:
1) you press the Vst/host MS key ( or one of the 8 asio patch, B4)
2) the OS run the filehost.exe Path and will make automatically: open with .wine
3) the .exe host start up under wine.
4) when the OS see available under the Jack connection the audio/midi port, the script will automatically connect the ASIO.exe audio jack on the FX Sever audio IN and also connecting the midi port to the keyboard.

IF you then turn OFF the host engine, you lose all and you have to reconect all manually.
Is better that you QUIT the host and then you press again the same MS ASIO patch, will run up automatically the host again.
Same way for the B4II standalone version or for the all standalone application.

The OS do NOT know IF you have turn OFF the engine or not, when the first time is up, the automatic scipt will not recalled again.
IF where NOT programmed on this way, every time that you switch engine, will open again a new Host and then you will have 10-100 same ASIO host running.

understand?

Anyway, I made a new test too and I will release on the new OS 4.2.
Download the new VstHost 1.47 double precision 32/64bit and replace the OLD vsthost.exe file with this new one.
NOTE: MUST have the SAME name file or the script will not run up!
Seem now really FAST, but better that you test too.
cheers

#310407 - 04/09/10 10:40 AM Re: VSTHOST loosing sound
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
James
Now I have undertstand what you mean..
question: why you need to turn OFF the Vsthost engine??
When you turn OFF the engine, automatically the audio/midi connection will be lost from Jack, if you run again, then you have to reconect all manually.
The OS script work only on this way:
1) you press the Vst/host MS key ( or one of the 8 asio patch, B4)
2) the OS run the filehost.exe Path and will make automatically: open with .wine
3) the .exe host start up under wine.
4) when the OS see available under the Jack connection the audio/midi port, the script will automatically connect the ASIO.exe audio jack on the FX Sever audio IN and also connecting the midi port to the keyboard.

IF you then turn OFF the host engine, you lose all and you have to reconect all manually.
Is better that you QUIT the host and then you press again the same MS ASIO patch, will run up automatically the host again.
Same way for the B4II standalone version or for the all standalone application.

The OS do NOT know IF you have turn OFF the engine or not, when the first time is up, the automatic scipt will not recalled again.
IF where NOT programmed on this way, every time that you switch engine, will open again a new Host and then you will have 10-100 same ASIO host running.

understand?

Anyway, I made a new test too and I will release on the new OS 4.2.
Download the new VstHost 1.47 double precision 32/64bit and replace the OLD vsthost.exe file with this new one.
NOTE: MUST have the SAME name file or the script will not run up!
Seem now really FAST, but better that you test too.
cheers

please if you update the O.S 4.1 to 4.2 include the new version qranger to. the one we have now on iso 4.1 is qranger_4.3+svn1830-1_i386

now the kubuntu is Kubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 stage soon we get final kubuntu, so the kubuntu team are very fast.

domenico made very good decision to use kubuntu for MS O.S.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 04-09-2010).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online