- in how I was dressed for a gig ...
I filled in for a vacationing KB player at an upscale restaurant in MA. I've worked the lounge area at this venue many times but never the main dining room ... In the lounge I would most often wear a black dress shirt with a nice tie ... The owner has recently requested that the musicians - one in the dining room and one in the lounge every Friday and Saturday - wear tuxedos ... He wears one anytime he is not cooking in the kitchen ... It was actually a pleasant change to be 'all spiffed up', even down to the patent leather shoes ... wink

More important than how I looked was the fact that I got a lot of compliments from the manager, staff, and customers (along with some nice tips $$$ smile ) ...
There was one party of eight that I figured was mom and dad, their kids and a couple of 'significant others' that I noticed were paying quite a bit of attention to the music - swaying in their seats, tapping on the table, etc.
Later, two of the young ladies passed by and took my business card ... when they were leaving, the youngest in the group, who I thought was about 16 to 18 years of age and really seemed to be into the music all night came by said "You were really great, thank you", and put a nice tip in the jar" ...

BTW, we often talk about how managers and staff in some of these venues aren't 'all that nice' to musicians, but I have to say that while I was setting up and during the night, one of the hostesses, the manager and a couple of staff members asked if there was anything I needed, or wanted to drink, whatever ... it was a really good evening for me all around ...

Attachments
old school performance pic.jpg