Took my morning stroll to the mail box about 10:45am today. Picked up our cable/tv bill, an advertisement and two catalogs for musical equipment.

And a notice from the IRS...

The notice said there were changes planned to be made to our 2012 income and that we needed to pay them $24,709.00 by June 11th or make payment arrangements. Once I began breathing again, I came in and checked my schedule and while I am really, really busy, 24.7 big ones is going to be tough. Within the letter was a list of Form 1099-misc. accounts showing income I allegedly failed to report. I opened up my accounting software and grabbed our hard-copy of tax info from that year and dug in. Virtually ALL of the 1099-misc amounts were already included in my original filing. Except one. Company A, a smaller place, was a facility I performed at 12 times in 2012 and charged them $80.00 each time. Total receipts from this location was $960.00

My accounting software records support this...

Digging further, the 1099 that Company A sent me also confirmed this...

The letter from the IRS however showed my wages from Company A being $96,000.

I wish...

It took me about 90 minutes on the phone with the "under-reporting department" to clear this up. It was a simple typo at the Treasury Department. I can disregard the notice and in a few weeks I should get an updated and corrected one.

Happy. Ever. After.

ALTERNATE VERSION:

After explaining the problem, I was asked which Presidential candidate I supported in 2012? I replied "...Obama."

Then I heard "good answer"....give me a moment to verify this information, please...

Moments later I was told to discard the notice.

"Have a nice day, Mr. Corfield. See you in 2016!!!"

The importance of being organized, and knowing what your system us and how it works can not be stressed enough.