Hey guys,

Picked up a Tascam Products Tascam DR-07 MKII Linear PCM Recorder for Christmas. First time with a handheld device, previously I've used Tascam Portastudio DP-01, which I found to be cumbersome to use.

Uploaded the audiofile to Soundcloud, which has its own challenges for me to figure out:

Soundcloud Bill Corfield/Crossroads

First time using my new digital recorder. Input level was too high for the first five songs, then seemed to be cleaner once I dropped it a bit. Not sure where the optimal placement of this device is going to be for live shows. For this recording, it was sitting on the keyboard. That's good for me being able to monitor it and starting/ending recordings, but its bad because its getting a double dose of my vocal. (One from the PA, the other direct from my mouth-it makes for a nice fat vocal, but throws off the overall mix.)

Solutions may be:

1) Decrease overall vocal/increase keyboard levels to find optimal settings, but this may compromise the overall sound for the audience, which I don't want to do.

2) Position the recorder further away from where I'm sitting, perhaps mounted on a mic stand. A disadvantage to this would be lack of control over the unit during the performance

3) Go direct from the mixer output, advantage is better mix, not influenced by my live vocal, disadvantage is the loss of the ambiance of the room as I'd be bypassing the two mics the unit features.

Still slugging my way through the instruction manual...lots to learn...

The mics are adjustable into a tighter field (XY pattern) or a broader field (AB pattern). Curious how guys are choosing which to use most often.

I'd love to hear how other OMB-ers are working with technology like I am. Suggestions, comments, etc. all welcome...

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (12/27/13 07:22 AM)