There was a lot of controversy about the "Live Concert Grand Piano" when the T3 came out. I didn't always agree with the criticism but after playing it now for almost 2 years and comparing it to the other samples on the T3 I have come to this very subjective conclusion:

"Live Concert Grand": Too bright, light and lacking warmth in the critical middle range despite many attempts at customizing the sample. Sounds best with brightness slightly reduced, a little more reverb and depth ( not much though ) and the modulation wheel pushed slightly forward to damp the sound.

"Live Grand and Warm Grand": These samples are warmer, less ringing in the middle but to me a little over damped and not very open even with reverb added. These I dislike even more than the "Live Concert Grand" (I know many love these but they just don't do it for me)

"Grand Piano": With a slight increase to depth and reverb this is IMHO the best piano voice especially when played full across the entire keyboard or when layered with "Live Strings" ( which I consider the best string sample If you add some reverb and reduce the volume. It really sounds nice

The "POP Piano" is also very nice but again for me not quite as open and warm as the the "Grand Piano". So I'd rate them:

Grand Piano
Pop Piano
Live Concert Grand
Live Grand
Warm Grand

I know piano sound is very subjective but I wanted pass on my specific experiences with Tyros 3. Of course the amps, speakers and in general your sound system will have a significant effect on how the piano voice is reproduced. Piano is one of the most difficult instruments to reproduce. Also from samples I have heard it does not appear that the T4 "Live Concert Grand" overall sound has changed except that SA 2 type nuances have been added. Let me know what you think and what your experiences have been with Tyros Pianos.

joesax
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder