One of the things I love most about arrangers is the ability to use them like drum machines. Most have pretty refined patterns and they're easy to use, as implemented on an arranger. The one I used on this 'scratch' arrangement is from the PA1x Pro and is called 'Swing Hip Hop'. It's 'un-tweaked' : other than turning the tempo down to 69). The tune is an old Bill Withers 3-chorder called 'ain't no sunshine when she's gone'. The bass is a G7 patch but here's the kicker, the chords are from the same patch. The sax (which Diki hates ) is from the PA1x. The EP is from the G7. The guitar is from the Tyros 2 (as usual). The piano is from the G7. The BGV's are me mumbling through the VP-550 (I can't sing and it does a great job of disguising your voice). The organ is the Nord C1 (what else). There's too much 'verb on everything but that's deliberate, to set a mood (and drown out all the flubs).

I always thought I could put together a simple tune from scratch in 30 minutes if I knew the tune. I was wrong. Although everything was done in one pass (I never do do-overs, too lazy. I try to hide a flub with the next dubbed instrument), it still took me 1hr and 15mins. No effects other than what was already on the patch and only a rough mix (turned down the organ, piano, and bgv's). Naturally, all of our homemade stuff sounds like puppy-poo compared to factory styles but I still like the 'live' feel over stuff that never contains a single mistake. I also like to make up the parts as I go along and since I don't play those particular instruments, it always sounds a little weird. But what the hay. Nobody else is posting.
http://www.box.net/shared/ziia6cg456

chas

PS: recorded volume is kinda low, so it sounds pretty lousy(er) through PC speakers.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 10-03-2009).]