I was performing at a nursing home here in the western Chicago suburbs for a two hour Christmas gig.

During my break, I left the Alzheimer's unit where I was performing to hear what the other entertainer was doing downstairs.

To my disappointment, he was on break too, so I scoped out his equipment. I was surprised to see an old Technics KN-800. It looked like a mid-level Casio arranger. Then I noticed no mic and no speakers connected to the keyboard.

I thought, "This is not fair." Here, I have spent over two grand on my PSR3000, Crown headset mic, and Yamaha powered speakers, and this guy is probably getting paid the same to make background music with a cheap keyboard.

Before I was about to go, the entertainer sat down to play. He was tall with thick glasses and soft features - looked more like an accountant than a musician. As he played Sleigh Ride, I had to admit that his technique was impressive, even though I wasn't blown away. The nursing home audience was engaged in conversation, but enjoying the music.

He saw me looking over his shoulder, so I quickly introduced myself. He was very nice. He asked me how often I played at the nursing home, and I said about sixteen times a year.

When I asked him how often he played there, he said, "Just a few times a year. I don't get much time because of my gig with the Cubs."

I asked, "What gig."

Then he informed me that he was the organist for the Chicago Cubs!

I later found out that he comes occasionally because he's friends with the activity director. He gets a nominal fee, the same as the other musicians, for his guest apparence.

The man who I looked down upon as a mediocre entertainer was someone who is making a very comfortable six figure income, I'm sure.

This man regarded me respectfully, even though I am, by all comparison, the mediocre entertainer.

Anyway, Merry Christmas,

Beakybird