Here are some first impressions on this system. When I first saw the box: "wow this thing is small"! I was even more surprised when I took the three pieces out of the box. Looks like a toy amp!

I already own the original LUCAS and for many jobs I run it at half of the power or less. I thought I didn't need to carry that big system, if I find something much smaller that assures the same sound quality. I didn't have surprises when I plugged it: the sound character is the same as the original LUCAS! Fat and full sound, well balanced at all levels.

HK has learnt with the original LUCAS and improved the number of controls. Subwoofer level allows to keep bottom-end adequate at all levels - I sometimes miss this knob in my big LUCAS. Three stereo inputs, XLR, RCA and XLR-Mic, all with separate gain controls. Limiter warning led, stereo/mono switch. I'm using the very same equalizer Tyros settings I use for the big LUCAS brother, and it sounded great right out of the box. One great thing is that for the satellites one can use mic stands (very lightweight satellites) instead of the heavier and bigger speakers stands! I really feel I'm not loosing anything besides power, in comparison with my previous LUCAS. If I have to name some difference I notice in the sound, I would say that my voice seems to have slightly less bottom-end frequencies. Nothing special, and I can always compensate by singing closer to the mic, with the subwoofer level to some extend, or with the voice eq. in the Tyros.

As I also own a Motion Sound KP-200S (about the same price in Europe) I can say that this little LUCAS sounds better than it. More stereo separation, less noisy (hiss), and no need of equalization at all. About the same weight but more transportable: I purchased also a specific HK Roller bag for the three pieces plus cables. Neat!

Tomorrow I will try it in a dinner-dancing with 130/140 people capacity. First time in that restaurant, but I'm really so confident that I don't hesitate. This is definitely a keeper!

More (official) info: http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/Active/lucas_xt/

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 10-01-2004).]