Well I got a chance to finally use the SD1 at a live show. I say it performed flawlessly, (I can’t say the same for myself). The SMF playback set-up is great, let me elaborate for those who do not know. Once you have loaded your songs prior to the gig, they go into a main folder which is labeled as Midi files. Each file gets entered in alphabetical with a corresponding 3 digit number.

At the gig, after you power up, hit the song play button. While you’re playing you can access your sounds at anytime but the keyboard is still ready and waiting for a midi file to play.

Example your playing and you have a sax sound selected, and now the next tune will be a SMF of Song x. you hit # 023 which is song x, it instantly loads the song and waits for you to hit start, in the meantime your sax sound is still playing fine. Hit the single reg button and you can call up a pre-programmed setting with style and vocalizer for another tune without searching names or multiple button pushing.

The only thing I find that needs some programming work would be the Vocalizer settings. Just some minor tweaking and that would also be great. So far this is a keeper. Not that hard to work in a live situation, after getting used to it. My Korg PA80 was harder.

I did find a fault or an issue that I heard was being worked on for the next OS update. I had some SMF files that were done on computer and other keyboards. When I load it into the SD1 they play fine with an exception of a program patch that was set for a GS system the pulled up a different sound fx that did not work with the sound. So I figure I will load the sequence into the sd1 sequencer and change the bank value. But the SD1 uses a different ppq setting which makes it play the song at half speed even though the tempo setting hasn’t changed.

Still working on some programming issues but getting a lot of help from everybody.