I've been collecting music related data ever since my Apple II so you can imagine how much data I have in various databases and text documents.

I'm using XP Pro and MS Works for the last 15 or so years. I've been aware for awhile now that if any of my hardware goes down or the OP system crashes, I'm not going to have access to important info.

All data files are saved as .WDB .WPS .DOC (but 2004 version). I did some research and read that if I can save my files as .CSV, then Access or Excel can open them up so I can save them in this more permanent format.

One problem so far is that some of them are so big, the text gets truncated if I save as a .CSV (I lose data on the really big files). The other problem is there are just too many files to convert (about 1400).

I bought a laptop with Windows 10 on it. I can purchase the Access or Excel now but I can’t get clear answers on the following:

a) which of the two MS programs will open up the .CSV files and then convert them to the newer format?
b) will I lose data in the conversion
c) where else can I go to explore this situation

Would you believe I went to two Microsoft stores in my area and NONE of the personnel knew what to do. They didn’t even know how to operate Access OR Excel. Figures……they were all kids, and busy playing on their smart phones. Ask them anything else and they’re dumbfounded. When I called Microsoft I got people in foreign countries who could hardly speak English and didn’t even know the products. Their answers were guesses.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I’m missing something simple? Anyone see a way of saving this info when the inevitable crash finally happens?

Mark