Hi ... I thought I'd share a recent new "experience" I'm going through ... maybe some of you can relate?! I decided to look through the old cassette tapes I had in a box under my bed. About 2-3 dozen of them are recordings from bands I was in, from high-school (late 1970s) through college age and up into the early 1990s. So I decided to "digitize" some of them into my computer.

What fun it's been! So many of the old recordings bring back great memories - of the other musicians, the gigs, the "war stories", the occasional odd occurrences, but most of all the fun and camaraderie it was to play in bands back then! I have even started finding (via LinkedIn and Facebook etc.) some band-mates that I haven't talked with in several decades, so I can share some of it with them. It's been lots of fun!

I have found recordings I literally don't remember making ... some are live from gigs, others are in "basement studio" kind of settings. It's also interesting to hear the progression of equipment I had (and other band members had) - keyboards and drum machines etc. have advanced a LOT since those days! Some of the earliest recordings have me playing some old analog "electric piano" (not a Rhodes or Wurli; I couldn't afford those) that sound horrible to my ears now! And old organs (Yamaha YC models, others), old synths (Mini Korg, others), then later a DX-7, etc. And before arrangers, I got my first drum machine in the early 1980s - a Sequential Circuits Drumtrax; which sounded fairly decent on some of the old recordings.

It's also interesting how almost 40-year-old cassettes have actually held up pretty well, considering they were made mostly on consumer-grade recorders back then.

Anyway, if any of you have some REALLY old recordings from your younger years, you might find it enjoyable to "resurrect them"!

-Jim