Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
I have not yet eliminated the possibility of the 588, either. It's a 500 with 88 hammer action keys. It looks ugly but sounds great. (in my not-so-humble opinion).
However I struggled with the key action when trying to play non-piano type voices especially those with velocity-controlled effects like the slide guitars. Even after setting the sensitivity at it's lowest, I had to really hit the keys hard to produce the slide effect.
Tim

Thought this could stand a separate thread. It seems Tim's thoughts are pretty much universal. And I know some don't think it sounds that great either.

So if you think it over a little and you have the PA588 coming in at 67 lbs, add even a soft case with wheels will be an additional 20 - 25 pounds and you have an 87 - 92 pound package to wrestle around with. Let's not even think about flight cases. You get all that for $2599 plus case cost.

I am so surprised that those who talk about wanting 76 or 88 note keyboards have not gone with a decent feeling, lightweight, low cost digital piano and add that to the dream keyboard(s) of your choice.

Here are a few examples some might want to consider for a piano keyboard:

Yamaha NP30, 12 lbs, $299
Yamaha P85, 25 lbs, $629
Casio PX120, 25 lbs, $499
Casio PX320, 26 lbs, $699
Casio PX330, 24 lbs, $699

If I were to do it, I'd want to get a PX320 or the new PX330. I see a lot of people getting these. The piano sounds pretty reasonable. You can get instant left hand bass just by pressing split. You've got a decent selection of the more used rhythms AND you get a reasonable arranger rhythm section so you could play this alone if wanted in many cases or hook it up to your, PSR-S900/910, Tyros', PA500/800, etc.

This seems like such a simple solution to me.

For those that like playing bass pedals, think what a rig this would be

I'd love to hear some ideas on this. This is something you just really hardly hear of anyone doing. I don't get it.

Best

Scott