There seems to be quite a few differing opinions on what the 'new' T3 should be, or what constitutes 'leading/bleeding-edge technology' (or even the need for it).

There are two separate and distinct groups on this board along with several sub-groups, each with a different set of needs, wants, and visions for the future. There is the 'Pro', usually operating as a OMB, and there is the 'Home-user' (which might include some retired or semi-retired pro's). Sub-groups might include singer/songwriters and others seeking a 'quick-and-dirty' compositional/arrangement tool. There would be much more agreement in posts about the pro's and con's of certain arranger keyboards if the posts were only populated by one of these groups. Obviously, that's not going to happen on a board as uniquely diverse as Synthzone. Perhaps we should adopt an AA style and preface each post with something like....."Hi, my name is Joe Blow and I'm a Home-User".

The truth is, two people could have diametrically opposing views and both be entirely correct, depending on their use or intended use of the instrument. Generally speaking (and recognizing that every 'general truth' is a specific lie), the 'Pro' is more likely to want good navigation, vocal harmonizer, quality build, good but not overdone styles (more suitable to tweaking and customizing), convenience features (MP3/SMF player), etc., while the 'Home player' wants something that sounds great right out of the box, styles that make him/her sound 'just like the CD' and that is sure to enhance his status among his/her circle of family and friends (including being the 'star' of every home party).

You may have noticed that this constant quest for the perfect instrument is much more prominent in the arranger community than in the synth/workstation community. I think that this has more to do with getting bored with your existing styles than with the keyboard itself. Organ players don't get bored with their instruments (especially C1 owners , piano players don't get bored with their instruments, guitar players don't .........well, guitar players don't count . That's because the creative side of music for these people resides in the individual, and not in the style bank (as he ducks for cover).

I have no idea what the point of this post is, maybe just some food for thought, prompted by the 'T3' post which I didn't want to hijack.

chas