Well, I took the plunge and in doing so gave up some serious dough for, surprise, surprise, - a new pair of nearfields. Not just any nearfields mind you, these puppies are at the front of the pack for sonic greatness without having to fork over several more thousand i.e. - the next step up - and beyond the reach of most musicians except for the extremely wealthy ones like Al Giordano, etc. - the ones that elite major recording studios have.

Which ones you ask? Are you sitting down? I got the new Mackie HR824 MK2 studio reference monitors. These monitors are superb, period! I'm hearing things in songs and in mixes that I've never heard before! Hopefully it will translate into better recorded mixes and songs with my keyboard(s) and sound module. If it doesn't it won't be the Mackie's fault that's for sure. Yes siree, I'm glad I took a shot on these monitors because they absolutely didn't disappoint. They have a very flat frequency response where the Bass is awesome and the Mid and Highs are simply fabulous! I ended up getting the Mackies after reading many positive reviews and then demoing them myself at a local GC. GC had many different brands of nearfields setup for auditioning but the Mackies were the ones that won me over, mainly for their superior bass but also for the exquisite highs and mids as well. The Mackies were setup side by side with KRK, ADAM, Genelec, Event, Yamaha, and Dynaudio and a few others. And it just so happened that the Mackie HR824 MK2's were on sale.

All I want to say is I'm glad I took the plunge. These are truly "professional" monitors and it was money well spent in my opinion. It brings my sound to a new level; or rather, to a new 'pinnacle' if you will.

The Mackies are very revealing in telling you whether a song was mixed well or not. It brings out all the intricate sonic details of a song and if there are flaws in the recording (in the Mix) the Mackies let you know. I like my Yammie MSP5's to this day but they simply can't hold a candle to my new Mackies. They are in a different class of course i.e. the Mackies are 8 inch monitors with an 8.75" driver whereas the MSP5's have roughly 5 inch drivers. But the Mackies are in a different league as well.

>> Sorry for being long winded but I feel like a proud new papa and I just had to share the good tidings with my fellow zoners.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-12-2008).]