I'm in the process of having a custom configured computer built for me, and with the following components: 3 Ghz Pentium 4, with an AsusTek P4P800S-E 'serial ATA' motherboard, 1 GB Kingston RAM, 160GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HD (w/8mb cache), Plextor 716A DVD/CD Burner, USB 2.0, Adapatec Firewire PCI card.

The only item from my current computer (Dell Dimesion 8200) I'm planning to install on the new PC is my M-Audio PCI card (Delta 66) soundcard including Omni I/O. Is this soundcard still considered state of the art or should I consider upgrading to a better PCI soundcard? What's recommended? Which soundcard(s) is currently best recommended for use with Cakewalk Sonar?

I was advised that I must purchase a brand NEW copy of Windows XP (home edition) and won't be able to use the Windows XP OS which came on my Dell Dimension because Dell's version of the WindowsXP installer disk (CD) won't install on a non Dell PC. This being the case, should I stay with Microsoft's Windows XP Home Edition, or upgrade to Home PRO edition or Windows 2000? I figure since I already know my downloaded software drivers work with XP Home on my current PC, that it might be a better bet just to purchase Windows XP Home Edition again. What do you guys recommend?

Also, I currently have the contents of my ENTIRE primary HD of my current (old) PC backed up on a Maxtor external USB hard drive. This includes OS, settings, drivers, programs, data, etc. What's the BEST way to get everything ported over to new PC? Will I have to RE-INSTALL everything from scratch (including software & driver updates) all over again , or will I be able to move some (or all) of the data backed up on the external HD over to the primary HD on the new PC?

Many thanks in advance to all for help in making my new computer transition & upgrade as smooth & glitch free as possible.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com