Hello

I see some positive comments about the Music Finder. I would love to see how you have adapted its use so one can find what they need quickly.

I got mine all loaded up and tried it once on the first job with the PSR2000. It was WAY too slow, with WAY too much wasted time to suit me. The audience seemed ok and I did a lot more talking in between tunes to cover it up, but I really was not happy with the situation.

For a Lowrey organ player these new keyboards have a lot more choices than I'm used to. The organ is simply pick the style and use 11 factory registration presets. (Actually its 22 presets because the lower manual acts like a third keyboard with its own registrations. So all these wonderful choices on the PSR2000 is like what I call the double edged sword. It's great to have all those choices, but it seems quite overwhelming to me and it seems like I spend more time experimenting and tweeking than playing music. That's why I stayed away from the Korg PA80, I want to spend my time playing music and as little button pushing as possible.

Here's my latest idea on the Music Finder: I did a little analyzing and found when I perform I think of playing tunes as fast, medium and slow. Then I pick an appropriate style after "reading" the audience. For example, for a medium tune I might pick the Bossa Nova style, then very often I pick the tune AFTER the intro starts. Then maybe I sense the crowd wants a fast tune and I might pick a fast rock for certain crowds or maybe dixieland for an older bunch.

So, I find I pick speed and then style rather than the song first. With that in mind this is what I think I will try next and hopefully the last time.

I think I'll set up my tunes in the Music Finder in the simple catagoies of fast, medium, and slow. Fast I'll put in Favorites, Medium in Search 1, and Slow in Search 2. Then I generally think of my tunes as standard or modern. To seperated them I will put the number 0 before the title of the standards and number 1 in front of the modern tunes. This way all the standards will show up first in each catagory in alphabetical order followed by the modern stuff in alpha order. To accomplish seperating the fast, medium , slow I guess I will have to put something in keywords as I understand it. I will probably use F for fast and M for medium and S for slow.

This is much longer winded than I intended, but I thought somebody might find this system to advantage, and I hope if there's a better sytem out there that I find out about it before I do it the other way.

As always thanks for the much appreciated input.

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 02-01-2003).]