Lately, some of the venues I have been playing have been requesting certificates of insurance protecting their members, guests or patrons from injury or damage from any neglect on my part. I looked into the insurance and was quoted over $700 for minimal coverage.

Tonight, at a country club of Sr. Citizens (with no stage) a man spun his wife and both lost control causing her to crash into one of my speakers. Fortunately, no one was hurt...but the stand toppled over and speaker careened to the floor face up.

Given the space I had to work in, I prepared for any eventuality I could imagine....but this was a surprise that could have turned into a law suit.

Some drywall was damaged. The skin to my Peavey speaker was ripped...but it could have been a lot worse. Somebody could have got hurt really bad.

I take full responsibility for any damage or injury caused by my malfeasance...but when the venue does not give you adequate space to play in, or a stage that keeps you isololated from the audience...where does the fault lie?

I raised this issue months ago on this board and there was not much interest. For my Professional player friends on this forum,...take heed. This kind of situation could result in disastorous consequences.

We take a major chance playing in venues that make us sign agreements that say we are responsible for anything that causes harm to anyone.

Eddie