The most important single sound on an arranger keyboard for me is the acoustic piano. Coming from a background as an acoustic piano player (Steinway), it has been difficult to satisfy my fussy ear. In fact it was the impressive Steinway sample on the Technics KN keyboard which led me to initially purchasing the KN5000. When I purchased the PSR2000 I realized that the acoustic grand piano sample wasn't going to please me because I never even liked the sound of Yamaha real acoustic pianos. I always thought that Yamaha pianos sounded too clinical and sterile, just my personal opinion of course, so please don't flame me. Because of this, I just accepted the fact on the PSR2000 (along with its' cheap light weight keys) that I just wasn't going to be able to pull off decent sounding solo piano on the PSR2000.

AS I stated on a previous thread, the PSR2000's lightweight keys are NOT any more of a problem (at least for me) to play than really any other synth action keyboard. For some bizarre reason I've been able to adapt and may even possibly prefer it's light action with it's unique spongyness at the bottom of the keystroke (seems to lend itself to playing with more expression).

But here is my most recent discovery which really has really turned around my feelings about the Yamaha's acoustic piano sounds. After some quick experimentation I found an acoustic piano combination (main + layer voice) which really works and sounds good (to me) for pulling off an exposed (with arranger off) solo piano performance. I select 'Grand Piano' for the MAIN panel voice and 'BritePnoKSP' for the LAYER panel voice. The voices, when played separately, sound thin and anemic or stridently harsh, but together, they create a satisfying combination for solo acoustic piano playing. Piano sound preferences are highly personal, but the PSR2000 offers many piano sounds in which to mix and match to suit individual tastes. Yesterday, I was able to pull off a couple of nice solo piano pieces which seemed to go over well with the audience. The PSR2000 continues to put a big smile on my face.