SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#499851 - 07/10/20 07:33 AM MIDI Tyros 3
KN_Fan Offline

Hello all!
I've been absent from this forum for ages(years)! Hope everybody is still doing well.

Long story short, I kinda stopped playing music since around 2011, keyboard was collecting dust and just recently tried to get back into the saddle again....

Tried to just connect my Tyros 3 via MIDI (using a MIDI to USB cable...two MIDI (out/in) into a USB

https://www.bukalapak.com/p/hobi-koleksi/musik/keyboard-piano/3qf0d-jual-usb-to-midi-cable-ztek

I just tried testing connecting it to my laptop just to see if it works (I use PC73 Virtual Piano Keyboard)..I connected the MIDI into MIDI A slots, and in the Transmit page, I put in the Right 3 to MIDI A/USB Ch1, pressing the keys and I got nothing..tried it pretty much with all channel, and still got nothing. Anybody here can help with what to do? Thanks in advance!

#499853 - 07/10/20 09:51 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
KN_Fan Offline

24 views and no replies? Nobody uses MIDI with Tryos 3? I guess I'll add a slightly different answer...would a USB-B to USB-A cable be better for me to connect to a laptop and do a "MIDI" connection that way?

Hope I get some answers....I'm desperate.

#499854 - 07/10/20 10:01 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I don't know anything about Bukalapak, never heard of them. I've had good success connecting many MIDI devices to my Windows laptop using the Roland UM-one. This has two MIDI DIN connectors on one end which I plug into the MIDI IN and OUT DIN jacks on the keyboard. (Besure not to mix up "IN" and "OUT"!) The other end is a standard USB Type-A connector. (Note, it's NOT a Type B "printer" connection.)

A lot has happened in the computer world since 2011. I would make sure the firmware of your keyboard is up-to-date, and if Yamaha has updated drivers for Windows 10 or whatever computer OS you're using, I would download those and follow the instructions / sequence of events for installing the driver and connecting your keyboard. Good luck!

EDIT: One more thing... The Tyros 3 is a 61 and I believe by default the Right3 voice is only assigned to notes in the top octave. Look at the MIDI presets in the utility menu and choose something more basic like "Master Keyboard" or Piano so all of the keys transmit MIDI. At least use that configuration to test connectivity between the keyboard and PC. My $.02.

Edited by TedS (07/10/20 10:06 AM)

#499868 - 07/10/20 08:03 PM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: TedS]
KN_Fan Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
I don't know anything about Bukalapak, never heard of them. I've had good success connecting many MIDI devices to my Windows laptop using the Roland UM-one. This has two MIDI DIN connectors on one end which I plug into the MIDI IN and OUT DIN jacks on the keyboard. (Besure not to mix up "IN" and "OUT"!) The other end is a standard USB Type-A connector. (Note, it's NOT a Type B "printer" connection.)

A lot has happened in the computer world since 2011. I would make sure the firmware of your keyboard is up-to-date, and if Yamaha has updated drivers for Windows 10 or whatever computer OS you're using, I would download those and follow the instructions / sequence of events for installing the driver and connecting your keyboard. Good luck!

EDIT: One more thing... The Tyros 3 is a 61 and I believe by default the Right3 voice is only assigned to notes in the top octave. Look at the MIDI presets in the utility menu and choose something more basic like "Master Keyboard" or Piano so all of the keys transmit MIDI. At least use that configuration to test connectivity between the keyboard and PC. My $.02.
Hi Ted, thanks for replying! That bukalapak link was just for a picture reference. I am wondering though about the utility menu...I did look at the MIDI menu and it doesn't have 'master keyboard' has an option....do you have a tyros 3 (or maybe tyros 2 or 4 have similar menu?) I tried playing around with it again this morning and still no success.

#499883 - 07/11/20 11:18 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I don't have a Tyros 3 and I can't provide step-by-step support. But you can download the manual from Yamaha's website. There might be two manuals, in which case you should download them both. But for detailed stuff like this you'll need the REFERENCE manual.

Based on my experience with other Yamahas... to access the MIDI settings, press the Function, and then the 'G' button. To verify your connection I would choose either the All Parts, or the Master KBD1 preset.

Did you do any of the other stuff I mentioned? Are you connecting to the keyboard's DIN jacks (best choice), or the USB port? If you're not using that Bukalapak, then what kind of interface are you using, and do you have the correct drivers? Computers don't give partial credit for getting close, you have to get all the details correct to make it work!

#499884 - 07/11/20 11:19 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My T3 certainly behaves when using a midi cable of that type but I usually use a USB cable directly.

Anyhow I have midi port A input on the tyros set as song playback , and usually fire the "right" keyboard part out on channel 1 of midi connector set A. After that it's down to midi routing on your computer.

The "right" output will fire out notes that are active, so if you only have the right part active then it will cover the entire keyboard.

#499887 - 07/11/20 12:38 PM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Just had a look, the first preset midi template on the T3 has "Right" set to be output on connector A channel 1, and input connector A channels 1-16 shown as song channels 1 to 16.

#499894 - 07/12/20 04:15 PM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: KN_Fan]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
don’t have a tyros, but I use a USB cable to connect my sx900 to my laptop, works perfectly.
Also use a USB cable to connect my p121 piano to my laptop, so that that I can use it as a controller for the sx900.

You’ possibly haven’t got your midi channels for receive and send , set up correctly if no data is flowing.

You may have to do your own custom setting, like I did , to get my piano to work with my sx.
What exactly are you trying to do, would help to know, if you need suggestions.

If you’re not already a member , maybe consider, psr tutorial site, full of yammie users.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php

Edited by rikkisbears (07/12/20 04:25 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#499898 - 07/13/20 04:33 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: MacAllcock]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rikki, you mentioned going from your Sx900 to your laptop with a USB --- and you use the laptop as a controller. What are you controlling?

I use my lap top to mirror to a 23” monitor. Sheet music, midi files, music sets, two Sx900 manuals, and styles.
John C.

#499899 - 07/13/20 05:25 AM Re: MIDI Tyros 3 [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
Rikki, you mentioned going from your Sx900 to your laptop with a USB --- and you use the laptop as a controller. What are you controlling?

I use my lap top to mirror to a 23” monitor. Sheet music, midi files, music sets, two Sx900 manuals, and styles.
John C.

Hi John,
Sorry, I might not have explained that very clearly, I use my p121 as controller, but I use the laptop as an interface . P121 only does midi via USB cables ( no dedicated midi/out sockets.
So I plug a USB cable from my sx900 into laptop, also a USB cable from my p121 into laptop. Then I use my old xg works sequencer software to run the 2.
I set p121 to midi out, Channel 1, and sx900 to midi In. Channel 1 . The setting I think is called keyboard (not near my keyboards at the moment).
Anyway what it allows me to do is play the piano keys, instead of the sx keys.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online