SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498970 - 06/18/20 01:37 PM Power Bank Advise
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have read the other threads,but decided to start one of my own.

I did get several ideas from other players about how they managed playing without AC available. In the same vein,I am attemting to asses my own needs.
My Ketron Module is 9V and SX900 is 16V input. Then,my Roland Cube Monitors are 117V. What does this mean to me as far as using a battery sound bank? At the minimum, I could use my SD40,mic,and my Microkey Air,through a small speaker.

#498971 - 06/18/20 01:41 PM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie, you can purchase a high quality, pure sine-wave inverter for under $150 that will last you lifetime and provides 1,000-watts of pure, clean power when you need it. Take a look at Amazon

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498977 - 06/18/20 03:56 PM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Gary, don't you also need to have to keep the inverter attached to a battery?

#498986 - 06/18/20 07:13 PM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, but it can be any battery with mediocre ampere hour capacity. A small lawn tractor battery would provide enough power to entertain a midsize crowd for several hours. Keep in mind that a lot of those battery powered amps only have sufficient battery capacity for an hour at best, and at very, very low wattage. Many operate on AA or D cell batteries, thus producing less than 5-watts of power for an hour before heading downhill.

One of the things on the spec sheets of most of those amps that is left out is the power consumption in amperes. Sometimes, I manage to find it buried in the repair manuals, only to discover that an amp that is rated at 30 amps is only producing 30 amps of peak power. One that I looked at only produced .4 amps of actual power when you did the math using OHM's Law. And, from my experience trying it out in the local music store, it was totally unsuitable for use with an arranger keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498995 - 06/19/20 01:32 AM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

A most interesting solution. If I understand correctly, I can plug in a power strip and power all my music gear with an inverter and a battery. That being the case, it comes down to capacity of both.

In addition to the music equipment,I am looking at a quieter alternative to my old Coleman Powermate 5000 loud generator,as hurricane season is here. I can get by with a few lights,fan,computer,tv,and microwave. Any surge appliances aren't absolutely necessary.

I have a running and surge wattage chart of common appliances. Maybe, I could buy two different sized batteries; small for the music,and larger for the house,with a larger inverter.

Edited by Bernie9 (06/19/20 01:44 AM)

#499018 - 06/19/20 09:21 AM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
The keyboard and module don't require much power at all. The thing you have to figure out is how many amps your cube monitors take, both at peak, and in typical use. If the whole setup takes 3 amps (and I would be surprised if it were that much), then a lawn tractor battery (32 amp-hours continuous) and even a 500-watt sine wave inverter would have you covered.

The difference between this stuff and the FlashFish device, is that the tractor battery is a sealed lead-acid gel cell. They are durable, long-lasting, and comparatively cheap, but heavy. The FlashFish probably contains a Lithium-ion battery (think of an overgrown cell phone or digital camera battery.) They are much lighter for the same power capacity. Also more expensive and probably have a high, but finite number of charge cycles.

Cost might end up being the same. (Don't forget that you'll need some kind of equipment to recharge the lawn tractor battery after it runs down.) I would go for the FlashFish just because it's lighter and less hassle. My $.02.

Edited by TedS (06/19/20 11:36 AM)

#499046 - 06/19/20 12:57 PM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Teds
Much appreciate your advice. Even though, I can see some inverter advantages for the music gear,I would rather spend a little more for the convenience. For the house, I bought a 2300W inverter generator,mainly because of charging, and much quieter and efficient than my old flat head Coleman.

#499503 - 06/27/20 01:28 PM Re: Power Bank Advise [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

I bought a 2300w Pulsar gasoline inverter generator and a Flashfish 200w battery portable generator. My thought is to have the Flashfish running a light or fan without using the Pulsar. Of course, I was thinking of my music,also.

Both of these devices work great and quiet(comparatively). The Flashfish fired the SX900 up with normal speaker volume. I have no idea how long I can play drawing 24amps,but in the event of a power outage,I can charge it with my car or the Pulsar. I gave the 5000W noisy flathead old generator to my neighbor with the provision he runs it on the other side of his house.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online