SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#496036 - 04/30/20 09:09 AM One of my few attempts at blues...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
or at least I thought it sounded bluesy, was the song Black Velvet, which ironically was written about Elvis Presley and is listed as a Pop song, though to me, it really sounded like a blues song. (I know Chas will correct me or provide an answer.)

Click here to hear my rendition of Black Velvet recorded on the PSR=S-950's onboard recorder using a third-party style.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#496038 - 04/30/20 09:12 AM Re: One of my few attempts at blues... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary once again an outstanding performance I remember you doing this one..Great Bluesy style song...the Blues is all about how you feel
and how you express that feeling thru music clap

Good to see your back in the saddle posting songs for all the enjoy.

Edited by Dnj (04/30/20 09:14 AM)

#496048 - 04/30/20 10:18 AM Re: One of my few attempts at blues... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
(I know Chas will correct me or provide an answer.)

Wrong Gary, I'm not going to correct you. It depends on whether you view 'blues' as 'how it makes you feel' (per Donny), or whether you're referring to a unique musical classification. The problem with the latter is that as a classification, 'the blues' has so many sub-classifications, variations, regional influences, ethnic influences, instrument (yes, instrument) influences, vocal interpretations, etc., etc. Just take a few of the sub-classifications, for instance; there's Chicago blues, Memphis blues, Mississippi Delta blues, and on and on and on. For that reason, I'll take Donny's definition - if you hear and feel the blues in a song, then (at least for you) it's a blues. As far as I'm concerned, Adagio Pathetique is a blues (dressed up in classical clothing smile ).

But in the end, who cares how you classify it. Whether it's Howlin' Wolf or Tom Jones, BB King or Lady Gaga, if it stirs the soul in a way that only a blues can, then it's a blues.

How's that Gary? BTW, nice job. And Black Velvet, definitely a blues under one of those 'sub-classifications'; how do I know? 'Cause it would probably sound like crap if sung by say Celine Dion smile.

chas

#496056 - 04/30/20 11:08 AM Re: One of my few attempts at blues... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys, and especially Chas for his definition of Blues.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#496076 - 04/30/20 05:04 PM Re: One of my few attempts at blues... [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Gary, awesome recording and performance,
Mitch

#496158 - 05/01/20 04:48 PM Re: One of my few attempts at blues... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Good to see your still knockin em out. This is the second song I've learned because you did it first. Baker Steet and Black Velvet are two songs I liked but never thought to tackle until you did them. Thanks for your vision of what can be done with some pop tunes.
Chas
Love you dissertation on Blues Styles. Great info. Many people don't realize how the Blues morphed into so many variations. And I agree with Donny, The Blues is about feel and transmitting that to the audience. Ray Charles could sing the label on a Campbells soup can and make it bluesy.
BTW and maybe off topic but I think thats why the electric guitar is so prevelent in Blues. It can express emotion so well.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online