SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#495713 - 04/26/20 04:52 PM SD7 Musikmesse
Dnj Offline

#495749 - 04/27/20 07:39 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

How many people here actually have a SD 7?

#495756 - 04/27/20 08:37 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
How many people here have ever seen an SD7? For that matter, how many people here have ever seen a UFO? Or Sasquatch? grin

Seriously. Uncle Dave's efforts show the board can produce great results. But some features aren't fully described in the manual, and there are some things that I just have to try for myself. Way too expensive and bulky to just "take a chance."

The old brick-and-mortar retail model was dying even before coronavirus closed the stores. I'm tired of walking into Guitar Center and seeing "the world according to Yamaha." That's no way to promote innovation among instruments that are 85% software!

When this is all over, what I would like to see are "Factory Demo Days" in every part of the country, a couple of times a year. Manufacturers bring their latest wares, we try them, and then place our orders on the Internet (because most of us do that anyway!!) My $.02.

#495758 - 04/27/20 08:43 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: TedS]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, Ted and Donny, I have owned 2 Ketron SD7 Keyboards and without a doubt they are the very best of any keyboard I have ever owned!! I sold them both only because they were to heavy for me to take to gigs. (I will be 80 in June) I used them for 3 years. I now own and gig with a Ketron SD40 module. The realistic sounds of Ketron are amazing as well as the style backgrounds.

Deane

#495759 - 04/27/20 08:50 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ted, I'm using the SD7 to "test the waters" as I await the more powerful, updated SD60. When that arrives (hopefully late May) I will be a self proclaimed Ketron Kamp Cheerleader, and start posting real world tutorials and tips on how to use the darn thing. There are not enough places to actually touch a Ketron product, so I will do my part to spread the word. I'm also considering starting an online "arranger how-to" course " .... there are so many sales clerks on the stores that have NO IDE how to demo an arranger. If you don't live near George Kaye, or Frankie V .... you're stuck with Youtube, and that has fallen short. I may have found my new direction, until live work becomes available again.

#495760 - 04/27/20 08:51 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Deane I also owned and performed with the Sd7 Twice ....
I will agree on may of your assessments,....but, there was just something about it regarding navigational features, joystick vs mod wheel, etc, and overall live openess of the sound vs other arrangers that I just couldn't tame for my liking my personal opinion. It is quality built for sure as all Ketron units are.

#495764 - 04/27/20 09:38 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny,
There are many issues with the Ketron OS but for me the overall quality of the sound overcomes all the OS issues. I connect my laptop to the module and most of what I need to do becomes very easy.

Deame

#495769 - 04/27/20 10:06 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Donny,
There are many issues with the Ketron OS but for me the overall quality of the sound overcomes all the OS issues. I connect my laptop to the module and most of what I need to do becomes very easy.

Deame

Deane I am so glad for you you are a true trooper
...hope you get back to making people happy again soon on stage.

stay safe

#495773 - 04/27/20 10:49 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've had two SD7s and an SD40. The first SD7 was sold to me WELL before it was ready for the market and was totally unreliable. After a couple of years they seem to have addressed most of the problems. By the time I got the second one, my fingers were no longer fit for the semi-weighted keys and I didn't want to deal with the weight and length.
I thought maybe the SD40 was the answer, and it did work well, but I really prefer working with a keyboard with everything in one, rather than a module.
All of these sounded great, particularly since they had AJ's upgrades, but to my ears, none sounded quite as good as the old Audya did, probably because it had audio guitars.
I will most likely never have another arranger unless it is light weight, has joystick, has excellent vocal harmonizer, great sound, styles and lead voices.
Most modern arrangers have MOST of these criteria, but none meet all. Probably SD90 module comes closest.
I believe Korg will soon come out with something totally new and different, but the weight and keys will still be an issue for me.
Yamaha is off the table for me at present. I have never cared for the operating system, even though I know it inside out. It lags behind all the other companies in that respect. And the vocal harmonizer is still next to useless for me unless they were to finally address the glitch it makes every time you engage it while singing. The drums have at long last become pretty good, and lead sounds have always been very good.
Roland actually has the most potential to please me, but it seems they are about out of the arranger business, at least for the US market. The EA7 is wildly popular in many countries, and I am content with it for now, but if an affordable option were to come out, it might get my attention.
Bear in mind, the audiences do not care...all the modern arrangers can be used to please them, in fact for the past dozen or more years. It's what pleases the player and his or her needs and wants that is important.

#495776 - 04/27/20 11:00 AM Re: SD7 Musikmesse [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Ted, I'm using the SD7 to "test the waters" as I await the more powerful, updated SD60. When that arrives (hopefully late May) I will be a self proclaimed Ketron Kamp Cheerleader, and start posting real world tutorials and tips on how to use the darn thing. There are not enough places to actually touch a Ketron product, so I will do my part to spread the word. I'm also considering starting an online "arranger how-to" course " .... there are so many sales clerks on the stores that have NO IDE how to demo an arranger. If you don't live near George Kaye, or Frankie V .... you're stuck with Youtube, and that has fallen short. I may have found my new direction, until live work becomes available again.

Those sound like some great ideas Dave. There definately needs to be more arranger information out there. Best of luck with all of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online