SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#488332 - 02/03/20 09:05 AM Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig'
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Forget weight, forget transporting, forget EVERYthing except the setup you'd most like to have on a gig. What would it be? For me:
B3 & Leslie 122 or 122R + Rhodes MK1 in 'L' configuration with 2 12" EV's for the Rhodes. No Synth, no Workstation, no Stage Piano, no Arranger KB, no Controller/VSTi. How about you? (Don't respond with "solo or band gig?", or "what's the venue?", et. Don't factor that in, just list your 'dream' rig.

chas

#488333 - 02/03/20 09:21 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PA4X, unless something better comes along. Maybe a second kb for having additional sounds quickly available.

#488336 - 02/03/20 09:36 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
SKI with a Roland synth of some kind on top. A piano (any mid-priced, light Yamaha on my right hand. Motion Sound top box.

Light and portable.

Russ

PS Chas I keep a B-3, 147RV and Suitcase Rhodes at the country club where I have my jazz nights two nights a month. Two waiters, both preachers and players, move it all for me and hook it up. It's a toss-up every year, to make enough to pay for the maintenance. But when it all works, it's a BEAUTIFUL thing!

R.

#488339 - 02/03/20 09:56 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
PA4X, unless something better comes along. Maybe a second kb for having additional sounds quickly available.

It hasn't been invented yet..
anyway its such a personal question...
what works and the needs of one is totally opposite from the next player...
this is the kind of "DREAM" post that goes on forever.
but it's fun to fantasize..

Edited by Dnj (02/03/20 10:44 AM)

#488340 - 02/03/20 09:56 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's easy,

Clavinet D6, on it's own legs - Rhodes sitting on top (no front legs) with ext legs in back, so it reaches the floor, PA4x on top for split bass and organ/synth
Amps are not part of my dream rig, because the room dictates what sound reinforcement I need, but I'd most likely have 2 QSC K8s as stereo monitors on the floor facing me. Nothing I couldn't do with this rig - and I've had it already in a working band in the 80s ... but the PA4x wasn't invented yet, so the go-to synth du jour for me was the D-70. Another cool thing about this rig is that there is NO KEYBOARD stand. The Clav/Rhodes sit on 6 legs, and the synth sits on top. Solid as a rock.

This pictured rig would be cool too, centered around the SV1...

Attachments
Korg Wood Case.png

#488347 - 02/03/20 10:18 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Then why bother posting?

-----------------------------------------

Dave, just out of curiosity, if moving, maintenance, etc. was not a consideration, would you consider substituting say an SV1 for the 'real' Rhodes? I ask because, as much as I love my KeyB organ, I would never consider substituting it for a real B3/Leslie BUT I would consider substituting my SEVEN for a 'real' Rhodes (in my 'dream rig').

chas

#488348 - 02/03/20 10:21 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thought about it and throwing out all the quailfications and just for self enjoyment probably the new Hammond XK5 full setup and two leslies plus a PA for vocals ,drum machine and maybe extra voices. Having bass pedal sustain and two extravoices to add to the drawbars would make it amazing. Not familiar with the new model but do the extravoices have seperate outs ,so lets say a piano voice could go out to PA speakers and not the leslie ?
Chas- your choice of drum machine to go with this rig ???

#488352 - 02/03/20 10:36 AM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Chas- your choice of drum machine to go with this rig ???

Well to be honest, I only envisioned me and this rig with a live drummer in a trio/quartet (sax/guitar) with a great female vocalist. Hmmmm, I haven't had a drum machine since my old 880 and haven't kept up with them, since for my purposes (practicing and jamming) the BK7m works just fine....actually, better than fine, I love the thing smile ).

chas

#488365 - 02/03/20 12:40 PM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Then (Back in the day)… and now.. smile

Then,, Roland JX10 or D70, Roland SH101 (for bass), Roland CR1000, or Alesis SR16 drum machines, and a Yamaha FM module (TX81z)

Now, What I have Roland G70 and add the E-A7 for the extra goodies.(unbeatable combination) wink

Add Roland Cubes , and Edirol M-10DX mixer.... and one or two cute girls out front grin

#488366 - 02/03/20 12:47 PM Re: Your ULTIMATE 'gig rig' [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By DonM

anyway its such a personal question...
what works and the needs of one is totally opposite from the next player...
this is the kind of "DREAM" post that goes on forever.
but it's fun to fantasize..

What's with the avatar smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online