SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466062 - 02/13/19 11:15 PM Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?"
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I was having an email conversation chat with one of the core members here (who I respect highly) a few days ago. We were discussing an issue involving another regular member in the group. I had a certain opinion about this person which changed drastically when I was told his background (where he was coming from...what he did in his life and what he experienced to form who he is today). I still have the same opinion, but, now......I'm more understanding, more tolerant, less judgmental, and less sensitive to our interaction. It was quite a lesson for me. Learning to look beyond the surface!

I've thought about this many times over the years. How so many people play their cards close to their chest when it comes to their personal lives. And how different you would (and could) talk to them once you know their background. How they got to be who they are today!

In this group (or any group you're in), I think it would go a long way if we understood what each one of us is about. Example. I’m sure Steve doesn’t mind me using him as a positive example. I never understand Steve’s role as a pianist. It’s only through his many posts that I learned he plays professionally. Gary, thankfully, is an open book. When he says (or plays) something, you understand it better because you “understand” what he did with his life. (and I admire him for the diverse life he chose to lead).

In short, you learn about people in bits and pieces.. Why not learn about people in one go, again, so you understand them better when they post something.

Leading up to......I think Nigel might consider a member’s section that anyone who wants to can tell their life story. I, myself, would really like to read the background of many of you as I find you all interesting people in many different ways. At the very least, you could maybe just do a regular post telling about yourself.

This all stems from that email conversation I mentioned I had a few days ago. Been thinking about it for a while now.

Any of you would like to tell your own life story, knowing we'll probably understand your posts better if we knew how you got to be who you are today?

#466064 - 02/14/19 12:18 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Mark79100]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The Bar is available for general discussion. Or people can PM if they don't want to discuss publicly.

#466067 - 02/14/19 06:11 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Since i don’t visit the bar area, i will answer your questions here..

I am one of the few people here that doesn’t comsider himself to be a musician..

I started playing Organ at the age of 10..
But never really very serious..

When i finished high school (havo in dutch) i joined the Navy as a radar electronics engineer. In that time i also played in 2 navy ships bands.. i did quite a few gigs on the ship and even in quite a few foreign harbors.. severe stage fever was my part, and thats why i only dared to enter the stage under the influence of quite a lot of alcohol.. nevertheless it was a lot of fun..

After that i got transfered to the caribean with my fammily ( i got married quite young) and somehow i never touched a keyboard from there for like 20 years, spending time with the fammily and making career in the Navy as a self build ICT networks engineer.. i did a lot of sailing in those years.. all around the world.

About 10 years ago, i landed ashore and enjoyed a job as ICT instructor. Which i really enjoyed.. its also when i picked up keyboards again, and started making music again.. about 5 years ago we lost our only daughter due to braincancer after being sick for almost 2 years. Still miss her a lot, but it was also when we realised we should spend more time doing things we like, instead of living for our careers.. i started piano lessons, and my wife quit her job and started painting(she is also the best cook i know).. we also travel a lot and try to enjoy life whenever possible.. we own that to our daughter, that never had the chance to do so.. i still work for the dutch navy as a projects engineer..

Where it comes to making music, i still don’t know what i think is more important, improving my musical skills, or just enjoying making music... i have a fettish for musical gear. From every new interesting keyboard, i download the manual and read it.. also from my owned keyboards and software, i try to figure out the depths and how it works..

I hope this helps, understanding who i am...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#466068 - 02/14/19 07:13 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Interesting topic! I don't have the foggiest notion about exactly who I am! Hopefully, all will be revealed at "check out time" when I'm told to take either the "Up Elevator"... or the other one! LOL!

#466077 - 02/14/19 08:55 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think Mark's post is extremely insightful; well thought out and worth serious discussion.

I'm heavy into graphics, and I have come to the conclusion that much of the interpersonal communication today; particularly that conducted via social media, is "black and white". The significance and life affirming details are in the "greys or in the vast palate of colors you really have to search for.

Mark brought my arrogant old A** down a notch or two (man, THAT was needed)and I'm looking forward to a personal visit someday.

Be well, all, and LISTEN and look for the real meaning in what others say and do, like Mark has.

That is something to be admired.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/14/19 08:56 AM)

#466104 - 02/14/19 10:19 PM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Nigel]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
The Bar is available for general discussion. Or people can PM if they don't want to discuss publicly.

Nigel, I think that would be defeating the purpose right off the bat. The Bar is fine for everyday general misc posting. I'm thinking in terms of a dedicated location on the site where you can post your personal resume. And in this format:

------------------------------------------------------------

Member ABC

(link) interested in reading about (member ABC)?

------------------------------------------------------------

This link then leads to the dedicated “revelation room” where members have posted a few paragraphs about themselves. I, myself, would find that very useful in understanding a post more by understanding the “poster” more.

New Synthzone lexicon: OAS (only a suggestion)! smile .

#466106 - 02/14/19 10:46 PM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: captain Russ]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ

I'm heavy into graphics, and I have come to the conclusion that much of the interpersonal communication today; particularly that conducted via social media, is "black and white". The significance and life affirming details are in the "greys or in the vast palate of colors you really have to search for.

Russ.....I’ve got to hand it to you. You could have been an Ernest Hemingway had you not gone the musical route. I love the way you said that. Instead of an explanation, you painted a picture.....of the benefits of seeing and understanding there’s more to vision than what you physically see in front of you.

I love words and how they’re used to convey information. And I admire people who use them to express themselves poetically. You said that better than Damon Runyon even. That paragraph is going right into my “Book of Quotes.”

Mark brought my arrogant old A** down a notch or two (man, THAT was needed).

Mark being confused.

Russ......I never noticed you were arrogant. But don’t explain that one to me because I might then start thinking you’re.....arrogant!

Your friend,

Mark

#466120 - 02/15/19 09:30 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mark, my biggest source of income is copy writing. I was head writer for one of the largest electrical manufacturers in the world for over 35 years, and, now, my production company produces over $25 million in collateral materials (films, brochures, annual reports, film scores, packaging,P.O.S. material, social media pages, etc.)annually. I have over 5,000 writing credits for clients including IBM, the US Air Force, UPS, Ford Motor, Toyota and many others. I write all copy and do organizational layouts. I am known by my clients as the BWANA of BULLS***.

Words and serious expression means a great deal to me.

Plus, it pays up to $250.00 per hour....$750.00 per page (LOL)

My problem is, I have never been able to chose between music, copy, film production, design, research or academics. That's why I work 110 hours per week. Luckily, many times these elements are all combined in various projects.

A recent heart incident tells me something has to give. Problem is, lots of people count on me and won't work if I don't initiate the content and elements.

But I look at that as a GOOD problem....working a lifetime in related fields (lots of original music tracks on all my video productions...lots of photography in my print projects....teaching at the University level anytime I want to, etc.). Plus, other than every single cute young lady I could find in my MUCH YOUNGER days, I NEVER took advantage of anyone, and have turned down big bucks for projects that would not succeed, and cost the originator a lot...sometimes, everything they have.

A treasured list of friends, now including you, make for a satisfying, multi-interest life.

Now, if I could just watch my "smart mouth"....!

Be well,

Russ (BWANA) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (02/15/19 09:40 AM)

#466130 - 02/15/19 11:07 AM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

A recent heart incident tells me something has to give.

Russ ... THAT is the most important thing I read in your post ... You've got some hard thinking to do, but you have GOT TO cut something out ...

#466136 - 02/15/19 01:58 PM Re: Is it a good idea to open up to "who you are?" [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I already told him that. He is too stubborn to listen. Wait until they have to shock you Russ. THAT will get your attention! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online